Aces Win Rare Pitchers' Duel at Greater Nevada Field
Reno, Nevada - Left-hander Alex Young outdueled the Nashville Sounds Wednesday night at Greater Nevada Field. Young turned in his best start of the season, going five innings while allowing just one earned run. The Sounds offense was kept in check the entire night, scattering 10 hits but only mustering two runs. The biggest swing of the night came off the bat of Diamondbacks' prospect Domingo Leyba. With Cody Decker and Marty Herum aboard, Leyba connected on his 10th home run of the season to give Reno a 3-1 advantage. Nashville responded with one in the top of the sixth but ultimately fell by a score of 3-2. Jimmie Sherfy picked up his eighth save of the season in the game. Reno will take on Nashville one more time this week before welcoming the Memphis Redbirds to the Biggest Little City Friday.
Top Performers - Reno
Domingo Leyba (2-for-4, HR, 3 RBI)
Abraham Almonte (1-for-3, 2B)
Travis Snider (1-for-2, 2B)
Top Performers - Nashville
Zack Granite (3-for-5, 2B)
Eli White (1-for-4, HR)
Chase d'Arnaud (1-for-3)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Thursday June 6 Nashville Sounds LHP Anthony Vasquez vs. RHP Phillips Valdez 7:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Streaking: With a home run tonight, the Reno Aces have now hit a home run in 24 consecutive games dating back to May 11. Entering tonight's contest, Reno led all of professional baseball in home runs (62), RBI (177), runs scored (179), total bases (509) and ranked third in doubles (59) since May 11.
The Opener: Last season, the Tampa Bay Rays introduced the "opener" strategy to regular-season baseball. Originally dreamed up by Bryan Grosnick, the opener works by rearranging how pitchers are deployed: a middle reliever starts (or "opens") the game, with the usual starter slotting in thereafter. Ideally, it allows for a platoon advantage early on and prevents weaker starting pitchers from being overexposed by facing the opponent's best hitters too many times. Nashville implemented this strategy tonight with Taylor Guerrieri. Guerrieri went two innings, did not allow a run and allowed one hit. Pedro Payano followed with four innings of work that saw three Aces runs and five walks.
Upcoming Star Wars Night: On Saturday, June 8, Greater Nevada Field will be transported to a galaxy far, far away...expect to see some of your favorite characters from the film throughout the concourse while you enjoy specialty concession items & immersive in-game experience. | Presented By Truckee Meadows Community College, Wild 102.9, and Reno News & Review. Tickets for the event can be purchased at renoaces.com or by calling 775-334-7000.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 6, 2019
- Storm Chasers Complete Sweep of Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Urias Leads Chihuahuas Win, Series Sweep - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Kickham's Clout Spurs 'Cakes to Victory - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies say goodbye to NOLA with 6-4 loss to 'Cakes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Avoid Series Sweep - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (22-37) at Reno Aces (25-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Salvage Finale against Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Nashville - Reno Aces
- Live the Suite Life at Las Vegas Ballpark - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (24-36) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-30) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 6, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Salt Lake Bees - San Antonio Missions
- "Runza Night" to be Featured as ESPN's Minor League Promotion of the Week - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Rolls to 11-5 Victory over Aviators - Las Vegas Aviators
- Express Steamroll Aviators in 11-5 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Win Rare Pitchers' Duel at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Sounds Drop Second Straight to Aces - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Blank Bees - San Antonio Missions
- Missions Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Snap Losing Streak in Game Two against Memphis - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Toppled by Tacoma, 10-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Blewett, Chasers Topple Isotopes 5-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Reno Aces Individual-Game Tickets Go on Sale this Week
- Reno Aces to Open Season with Limited Capacity in Greater Nevada Field
- 13 former Aces Crack Arizona Diamondbacks' Opening Day Roster
- Reno Aces Issue Statement on the Passing of Former Farm Director Mike Bell
- Daulton Varsho Optioned to Reno After 2020 with Arizona