Freemanâ??s big day caps off regular season with a win
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (73-67) finished the regular season on a high note, defeating the El Paso Chihuahuas (80-60) 8-4 in a Labor Day matinee at Raley Field. The River Cats will shift their focus to the first round of the Pacific Coast League playoffs which begin Wednesday in Sacramento. They are set to open a five-game series against the Pacific Southern Division Champion Las Vegas Aviators.
Catcher Ronnie Freeman had a big day to propel the River Cats to an 8-4 win on Monday. He reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a triple, three RBI and a run scored. Freeman, who was voted co-best teammate this season along with Francisco Pena, had a clutch three-run triple in the seventh inning to bust the game open, giving Sacramento their four-run lead.
Sacramento belted three dingers this afternoon, all from recent arrivals from Double-A Richmond. Newcomers Jacob Heyward and Zach Houchins each belted their first homers with the River Cats, while Ryan Howard launched his fourth homer of the season at Triple-A and first since June 17.
The River Cats will have an off day tomorrow before opening the playoffs at home against the Las Vegas Aviators in a best-of-five series. Sacramento has not yet named their starter for game one, while Las Vegas tapped righty Daniel Mengden (4-3, 4.22) to open the series. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
Right-hander Steven Okert, the River Cats all-time appearance leader, got the start today and in doing so appeared in his 200th career game for Sacramento.
The River Cats belted three homers today and finished the regular season with 228, setting the franchise single-season home run mark. The previous record was accomplished in 2011 when the club crushed 178 bombs.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Chihuahuas Doubled up in Season Finale - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak - Fresno Grizzlies
- Freemanâ??s big day caps off regular season with a win - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Swept to Close out 2019 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2019 Season Finale in the Books - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators End Regular Season with 3-2 Win over Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Wins Final Game of 2019, Improves to 10-1 in Final Regular-Season Contests - Reno Aces
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose Finale in 13 Innings - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Wrap up 2019 Season - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Outlasts Memphis to End the Regular Season - Iowa Cubs
- Express Fall to Storm Chasers 6-0 in Regular Season Finale - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Close Season with 10-1 Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cakes Win Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (69-70) at Iowa Cubs (74-65) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 2, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Fly Past Tacoma 8-1, Claim Division Title - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Loss Eliminates Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall in Extras to Grizzlies, 7-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two
- Avelino provides walk-off as River Cats take Game 1