Dodgers Close Season with 10-1 Loss
Oklahoma City - The Oklahoma City Dodgers closed out the 2019 PCL season with a 10-1 loss to the New Orleans Baby Cakes Monday afternoon at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
In their final game as the Baby Cakes, New Orleans built a 4-0 lead through four innings and Rosell Herrera went on to finish the game with five RBI for the Baby Cakes. The New Orleans franchise is relocating to Wichita, Kan., for the 2020 season.
With the loss in the season finale Monday, the Dodgers finished the season with a 62-77 record and went 4-14 over the final 18 games to close out the schedule.
New Orleans (73-65) took a 2-0 lead in the first inning as Herrera hit a RBI triple and scored when Peter O'Brien followed with a RBI groundout. The Baby Cakes loaded the bases with two outs in the second inning, but OKC pitcher Daniel Corcino got Herrera to line out to end the inning.
In the fourth inning, Herrera lined a two-run single into left field to extend the Baby Cakes' lead to 4-0.
The Dodgers got on the scoreboard in the sixth inning. Cameron Perkins homered out to left-center field for his ninth homer of the season to cut New Orleans' lead to 4-1. He finished the game 3-for-4 to lead the Dodgers.
New Orleans responded in its next at-bat with three runs. Gabriel Guerrero hit a RBI single in the seventh inning to extend the Baby Cakes to a 5-1 lead. New Orleans later loaded the bases in the inning and Monté Harrison hit a two-run double into right field for a 7-1 advantage.
New Orleans tacked on a run with two outs in the eighth inning when Yadiel Rivera grounded a single into right field for an 8-1 lead.
Herrera lined a two-run single into center field in the top of the ninth inning to extend New Orleans to a 10-1 lead as the Baby Cakes outhit the Dodgers, 16-5, in the game.
Corcino (8-8) was charged with the loss for OKC, allowing four runs and six hits over 3.2 innings with four walks and four strikeouts.
Four Dodgers pitchers combined for 10 strikeouts, as Oklahoma City set a new team record with 1,287 strikeouts total this season and led the PCL in strikeouts for the third time in the last four seasons.
New Orleans starting pitcher Kolton Mahoney (2-1) picked up the win, holding OKC to one run and three hits over 6.0 innings. He did not issue a walk and recorded 10 strikeouts as Dodgers batters struck out 15 times total Monday.
Oklahoma City finished the season with 77 losses - the most since the team rejoined the PCL in 1998, surpassing the previous high of 75 set by the 2011 team (68-75) and 2009 team (69-75).
The OKC Dodgers open the 2020 PCL season April 9, 2020 at San Antonio and their home opener is slated for April 14, 2020 against Nashville at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
For ticket information regarding the 2020 season, please contact the OKC Dodgers ticket office at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Chihuahuas Doubled up in Season Finale - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak - Fresno Grizzlies
- Freemanâ??s big day caps off regular season with a win - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Swept to Close out 2019 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2019 Season Finale in the Books - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators End Regular Season with 3-2 Win over Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Wins Final Game of 2019, Improves to 10-1 in Final Regular-Season Contests - Reno Aces
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose Finale in 13 Innings - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Wrap up 2019 Season - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Outlasts Memphis to End the Regular Season - Iowa Cubs
- Express Fall to Storm Chasers 6-0 in Regular Season Finale - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Close Season with 10-1 Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cakes Win Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (69-70) at Iowa Cubs (74-65) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 2, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Fly Past Tacoma 8-1, Claim Division Title - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Loss Eliminates Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall in Extras to Grizzlies, 7-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.