Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off
NASHVILLE - Matt Davidson hit a walk-off sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 13th inning to give the Nashville Sounds a 6-5 win over the San Antonio Missions in the season finale Monday afternoon at First Tennessee Park.
Davidson hit a 1-1 pitch from catcher-turned-pitcher Tuffy Gosewisch into left field. It was deep enough to score Andy Ibanez from third with the winning run. Nashville finished the 2019 campaign with a 66-72 record.
San Antonio jumped out to an early lead with one run in the second and two runs in the fourth. Jake Hager's RBI double in the second inning started the scoring. Jess Williams made it a 3-0 game in the fourth with a two-run single to center field.
Wes Benjamin tossed five innings in his final start of the 2019 season. The southpaw fell shy of a sixth consecutive quality start but limited the Missions to three runs in five innings. He struck out six in the no-decision.
The Sounds mounted a comeback in the middle innings. In the fifth, catcher Tim Federowicz put their first run on the board with a sacrifice fly to center field. Two home runs helped Nashville take the lead in the sixth. Andy Ibanez launched his 20th long ball of the season to start the inning, cutting the deficit to 3-2. With one out, Matt Davidson drew a walk and came around to score when Patrick Wisdom belted a two-run homer to deep left field. His 31st blast of the season gave Nashville a 4-3 lead.
It didn't last long as San Antonio got the run back in the seventh. Reliever Joe Barlow issued three walks in the frame and it came back to hurt when Jacob Nottingham hit a sacrifice fly to even the game at 4-4.
The two teams exchanged runs in the 10th inning but otherwise struggled to score in the extra frames.
With today's 6-5 win, the Sounds finished the 2019 season with a 66-72 record.
Today's attendance of 9,987 brings the season attendance to 578,291 at First Tennessee Park. The Sounds finished with the second-highest per-game average of 8,631 in the Pacific Coast League.
Wes Benjamin tossed five innings and struck out six batters. He finished the season with career-highs in innings pitched (135.1) and strikeouts (114).
The home run hit by Andy Ibanez was his 90th run scored of the season. The 91 runs are the 10th-most by a Sound in a single season.
Patrick Wisdom hit his 31st home run of the year in the sixth inning. It's the eighth-most home runs hit by a Sound in a single season.
Today's game went 13 innings, the longest game of the season for Nashville.
The 2020 season begins on Thursday, April 9 when the Sounds host the Iowa Cubs. 2020 season ticket memberships are on sale through the Nashville Sounds ticket office. For more information on membership packages, call 615-690-4487, or e-mail email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Chihuahuas Doubled up in Season Finale - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak - Fresno Grizzlies
- Freemanâ??s big day caps off regular season with a win - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Swept to Close out 2019 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2019 Season Finale in the Books - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators End Regular Season with 3-2 Win over Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Wins Final Game of 2019, Improves to 10-1 in Final Regular-Season Contests - Reno Aces
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose Finale in 13 Innings - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Wrap up 2019 Season - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Outlasts Memphis to End the Regular Season - Iowa Cubs
- Express Fall to Storm Chasers 6-0 in Regular Season Finale - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Close Season with 10-1 Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cakes Win Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (69-70) at Iowa Cubs (74-65) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 2, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Fly Past Tacoma 8-1, Claim Division Title - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Loss Eliminates Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall in Extras to Grizzlies, 7-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds' 2021 Season Delayed Until May 4
- Nashville Sounds Donate Copies of "Home Plate: Henry Kimbro and Other Negro Leaguers of Nashville, Tennessee" to Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Nashville Sounds Announce 2021 Schedule
- Nashville Sounds Announce Affiliation with the Milwaukee Brewers
- Nashville Sounds Announce Limited Number of Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now