Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double
Fresno, California - The Fresno Grizzlies (64-75) walked-off on the Albuquerque Isotopes (60-79) 7-6 in 10 innings Sunday evening from Chukchansi Park. Fresno won their fifth straight contest, a season-long and improved to 14-7 on Sundays. Wilmer Difo played hero, lining a double to the right-center gap, scoring a pair. Difo's only hit gave Josh Lucas (1-0) the decision and Ben Bowden (1-3) the loss.
Yadiel Hernandez put the Grizzlies up 2-0 in the first. Hernandez blasted a two-run clout to left-center field, his 33rd of the year. He is now tied for second all-time in single-season homers, trailing A.J. Reed by one. Drew Ward added his fifth RBI in two games after a double plated Hernandez. Fresno trailed heading into the ninth, but Matt Reynolds knotted up the affair after a solo bomb. It was his 16th of the 2019 campaign. Finally, Difo enjoyed his game-winner in the 10th, a rocket double to the right-center gap.
The Isotopes offense recorded four solo longballs. Nelson Molina provided the first one in the seventh as a pinch-hitter. The other three came in the ninth after Albuquerque was behind by two runs. Peter Mooney, Todd Czinege (pinch-hitter) and Drew Weeks were the benefactors of the taters. Despite taking the lead into the bottom half of the 10th, the Isotopes could not hold on.
Grizzlies starter Wil Crowe did not factor in the contest. The righty hurled six frames of one-run ball. He allowed five hits, three walks and four strikeouts. Logan Ondrusek mustered a scoreless inning as well for Fresno. The Grizzlies look for the sweep in the last game of the regular season tomorrow afternoon.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- SS Wilmer Difo (1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB)
- RF Yadiel Hernandez (1-2, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 3 BB)
- CF Matt Reynolds (1-3, HR, RBI, R, 2 BB)
Top Performers: Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies)
- 2B Peter Mooney (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- RF Drew Weeks (2-5, HR, RBI, R)
- PH Nelson Molina and Todd Czinege (solo HR)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday September 2 Albuquerque Isotopes (Home) RHP J.J. Hoover (Fresno) vs. RHP Ben Meyer (Albuquerque) 1:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: 25% of the Grizzlies home wins this season have come via the walk-off (8/32). Carter Kieboom and Chuck Taylor tallied two hits and one run apiece in the win.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Chihuahuas Doubled up in Season Finale - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak - Fresno Grizzlies
- Freemanâ??s big day caps off regular season with a win - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Swept to Close out 2019 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2019 Season Finale in the Books - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators End Regular Season with 3-2 Win over Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Reno Wins Final Game of 2019, Improves to 10-1 in Final Regular-Season Contests - Reno Aces
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose Finale in 13 Innings - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Wrap up 2019 Season - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Outlasts Memphis to End the Regular Season - Iowa Cubs
- Express Fall to Storm Chasers 6-0 in Regular Season Finale - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Close Season with 10-1 Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cakes Win Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (69-70) at Iowa Cubs (74-65) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 2, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Fly Past Tacoma 8-1, Claim Division Title - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators - Tacoma Rainiers
- Loss Eliminates Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall in Extras to Grizzlies, 7-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Statement from Fresno Grizzlies President Derek Franks
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials