Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors
Kalamazoo, MI. - Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber, made his Major League debut for the Detroit Tigers on Friday, August 9, 2019. Schreiber is the 226th former Northwoods League player and the first Kalamazoo Growler to reach the Major League level.
Schreiber, who played collegiately at the University of Northwestern Ohio, pitched for the Kalamazoo Growlers in 2014. He was drafted by the Tigers in the 15th round of the 2016 MLB draft.
Schreiber appeared in 11 games for the Growlers in 2014. He was 0-2 with a 4.62 ERA out of the bullpen. He struck out 11 batters in 11.2 innings and walked six.
Schreiber began his minor league career in 2016 with the Connecticut Tigers of the Short-Season A New York-Penn League. He appeared in 18 games and was 2-3 with a 2.76 ERA. He struck out 24 batters in 29.1 innings pitched while walking nine.
In 2017 Schreiber was promoted and spent the season with the West Michigan Whitecaps of the Lo-A Midwest League. Over 27 games he was 5-1 with a miniscule 0.54 ERA. He struck out 70 batters in 50.1 innings and walked only eight. He also saved 11 games.
Schreiber received another promotion for the 2018 season to the Erie SeaWolves of the AA Eastern League. In 49 games he was 3-7 with a 2.48 ERA and saved 18 games. He struck out 59 batters in 58 innings and walked 19.
Prior to being called up by the Tigers, Schreiber had appeared in five games with Erie before a promotion to the Toledo Mud Hens of the International League. Between the two clubs he was 5-4 with a 2.80 ERA in 44 appearances. He had a career high 71 strikeouts in 54.2 innings pitched and had saved three games.
In his Major League debut against the Kansas City Royals, Schreiber entered the game in relief in the ninth inning. In .2 innings he allowed one run on three hits.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Growlers Stories
- Growlers Fall Just Short against Mallards
- Dingers, Dominance on the Mound, Propel Growlers to Victory over Pit Spitters
- Growlers Lose Series Finale 7-5 to Rivets
- Growlers Nail Down Rivets in Doubleheader Behind Power Arms and Power Bats
- Kalamazoo Has 10 Players Drafted in 2021 MLB Draft