Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One
Madison, Wis.- The Madison Mallards (42-29) fell to the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (35-35) 13-5, in their last regular season home game. Madison picked up their 29th loss of the summer after the Dock Spiders crawled over the Mallards with their dominant offense.
The Dock Spiders took control of the game early. In the top of the first, Fond du Lac scored six runs to rattle the Mallards defense. A walk followed by back-to-back singles loaded the bases with one out. Tate Kolywuck (Vanderbilt) stepped up to the plate and ripped a two RBI double to put the Spiders on the board, 2-0. Following his lead, Zeb Adreon (Iowa) and Ryan Sepede (BYU) contributed RBI singles to bring in two more runs. An error on the Mallards infield let a runner from third come home, and with a sacrifice fly from Charlie Maxwell (Northwestern), the Dock Spiders finished the inning with a 6-0 lead.
Madison put a small dent in the score in the bottom of the second, after Nicholas Figus (Illinois Wesleyan) popped up a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded to make the score 6-1.
Fond du Lac remained quiet on offense, while the Mallards struck again in the bottom of the fourth. Another sacrifice fly, this one by Timo Schau (Southern Wesleyan), had the Mallards trailing 6-2 going into the fifth.
The Mallards carried their momentum into the bottom of the sixth. Austin Blazevic (Southeast Missouri) recorded an RBI single to cut the Dock Spiders lead in half, 6-3.
Having their lead cut did not phase the Dock Spiders. Fond du Lac added another run in the top of the sixth from an RBI single from Maxwell, to make the score 7-3. Keeping up with the Spiders, the Mallards added two more runs in the bottom of the inning with an RBI single from Nick Gile (Madison College) and a sacrifice fly by EJ Ranel (Lenoir-Rhyne).
The Mallards started to crawl their way back into the game after making the score 7-5 going into the seventh.
Kolwyck responded to the Mallards by slamming a two-run home run, putting the Dock Spiders ahead 9-5 in the top of the seventh. Fond du Lac extended their lead in the eighth after an RBI single by Adreon, followed by a three-run home run by Sepede, gave the Dock Spiders a whopping 13-5 lead.
The bottom of the eighth and nine innings were unsuccessful for the Mallards.The offense did not come alive for the team to pull off a come-from-behind win.
A loss was recorded by Mallards starter Patrick Foldy (Madison College), because he gave up six runs in the top of the first.
Dock Spiders starting pitcher Evan Sankey (North Dakota State), earned the win after he pitched through five innings and did not allow the Mallards to take the lead. Relief pitcher Brock Weirather (Grinnell College) earned the save after shutting down the Mallards lineup to prevent a comeback.
Blazevic was awarded Impact Player of the Night after going four-for-five and bringing in one run.
Deylen Miley (Bellarmine) entered the game during the first inning and pitched through four, earning five strikeouts.
The Dock Spiders returned to having a large lead in the top of the eight after adding four more runs off an RBI single and three-run home run.
The Mallards will close out their series against the Dock Spiders on the road. Tomorrow the teams will face off at Herr Baker field for the last regular season game of the summer. First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs