Stingers Down Huskies 9-1
Duluth, Minn - After officially being eliminated from Northwoods League Playoff Contention last night with Eau Claire's 6-3 win over Bismarck, the Huskies traveled to Willmar to start their last season series looking to finish things off on a high note. Duluth defeated Waterloo last night in a thrilling 4-3 victory to try and stay in the division race off of excellent pitching from Keaton Caratti, who struck out 10 over 6 innings. The game was tied 2-2 until Joey Zwak had the hit of the game when he doubled in two runs to give Duluth the late lead.
Travis Booth came into his 3rd start tonight looking to replicate his last start against Thunder Bay in which he tossed six innings, gave up only two runs and struck out 13. The California Baptist product looked to retain his 1.80 ERA against Christopher Peres of the Stingers.
Willmar was the team to break through first in their half of the 2nd inning on an RBI single from Daniel Walsh that scored Justin King. King led off the inning with a stand-up double.
The next batter James Gamble hit the Stingers' 2nd straight RBI single to give Willmar an early two-run lead with Peres pitching lights out over his first few innings on the mound.
The Stingers found the scoreboard once again in the 4th after Booth issued four walks over the span of six batters. The last walk was issued to Brandon Boissiere with the bases loaded which brought home Daniel Walsh to score Willmar's 3rd run of the night.
Peres took a no-hitter into the top of the 5th but Nico Lima was the one to break it up with a one-out base hit. He was just the Huskies' 2nd baserunner of the night since Alex Tappen's walk earlier in the game. Lima continues to stay hot at the plate as he's logged 8 hits in his last 13 at-bats to go along with a home run and three RBI's.
Shortly after, Lima got into scoring position on a passed ball and was batted home by Collin Hopkins with a two-out knock on a 2-2 count for the Huskies' first run. Booth would not return for the bottom of the 6th as Beau Wills came on to make his 4th appearance. Booth tossed five frames and struggled with his command as he walked six Stingers for three runs. He did continue to rack up strikeouts though with 8 to his name.
After Joel Cheatwood relieved Christopher Peres in the top of the 7th and worked a clean 1-2-3 inning on Duluth, Luke Bowman became the 6th Stinger to record a hit and the 4th to log an RBI on a two-RBI single to make it 5-1 Willmar. Sam Baier and Ryan Johnson kept the inning going with a single and a walk, respectively, to load the bases once again.
Two more Stinger runs scored when Boissiere reached on an error by Max Guzman at 1st, but Baier was thrown out trying to score a 3rd run to end the inning as Willmar claimed a six-run lead with two innings left to play.
Dennis Boatman came in to work the bottom of the 8th in his 9th appearance this summer, and after giving up a walk and a single to start the inning he struck out Riley Johnson and Daniel Walsh quickly for two outs. But it didn't matter much as James Gamble got his 2nd hit of the night when he tripled home two runs to put Willmar up 9-1.
Garrett Herring made easy work of Duluth in the top of the 9th to secure a win for Willmar in game one of the series.
The Huskies look to end the 2019 season with a win tomorrow. First pitch is set for 5:05 pm with live game coverage on 92.1 The Fan and twinportssportshub.com beginning at 4:55 pm. All Duluth Huskies and Northwoods League games are live streamed online at portal.stretchlive.com/nwl to watch.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.