KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City
Kalamazoo, MI. - The Kalamazoo Growlers (36-35, 20-19) were only able to muster two hits offensively in an 8-1 defeat to the visiting Traverse City Pit Spitters (52-19, 29-6) at Homer Stryker Field Saturday evening.
Traverse City got on the board in the third with a solo blast from Hudson Byorick to give the visitors an early 1-0 advantage. The Pit Spitters added another run in the fourth to make it 2-0 on a Christian Faust sacrifice fly.
The Pit Spitters posted a crooked number in the seventh with four runs on just two hits, including Byorick's second homer of the night to stretch the advantage to 6-0.
Kalamazoo knocked its first hit of the contest in the bottom of the seventh on a lead-off double from Nick Neville (South Carolina) after Traverse City starting pitcher Austin Shea had a no-hitter through six and perfect game through four frames. The Growlers plated their only run on a RBI single courtesy of Clay Owens (USC).
Traverse City tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the eighth to extend the margin to seven runs. Shea earned the win on the mound, improving to 5-0. Kalamazoo starter Travis Snyder (Sinclair College) took the loss, falling to 0-2.
The Kalamazoo Growlers remain at Homer Stryker Field tomorrow afternoon for the regular season finale versus Traverse City. First pitch is slated for a 3:05 p.m. start.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.