Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks
Mequon, Wis. - In a monumental night for the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (22-13), Anthony Galason hit for the cycle as the Rafters blew out the Lakeshore Chinooks (16-19) 14-2 and are now one win away from clinching a playoff spot.
Galason opened the scoring with a two-run homer in the top of the first inning and hit a triple in the third, scoring on an RBI single by Jake Dunham. In the fifth, Galason led off with a double and scored on an RBI single by Osvaldo Tovalin to make it 4-0 Rafters.
The Rafters broke the game open with six runs in the seventh inning. Peter Matt, Noah Thigpen and Richie Schiekofer all contributed RBIs in the inning. Leading 10-2 in the ninth, Dunham, Tovalin and Thigpen all got their second RBIs to add four more runs to the lead.
Anthony Galason got one last at-bat in the ninth, hitting a single to right field and becoming the first Rafter to ever hit for the cycle. With the win, Wisconsin Rapids can clinch a playoff spot with either a win over Lakeshore or a loss by Fond du Lac on Sunday.
Jack Sinclair had a quality start, throwing 6.2 innings and giving up just four hits to earn the win. Cody Turner went 2.1 shutout innings with two strikeouts in relief. Starter Aaron Winkler gets the loss with five innings of work.
Wisconsin Rapids closes out the regular-season portion of their 10thAnniversary Season with a 5:05 p.m. matchup against the Chinooks on Sunday. If the team can secure a playoff spot, they would play at Historic Witter Field on Monday.
As the Rafters gear up for a late-season run, you can experience the postseason action firsthand. For more information on playoff ticket offerings visit Raftersbaseball.com, call the Rafthouse at 715-424-5400, or visit historic Witter Field. The Rafters ticket office is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday at Witter Field, 521 Lincoln Street in Wisconsin Rapids.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Two Rafters Awarded Rawlings 'Finest in the Field'
- Skyward Partners with Rafters Again for 8th Annual Teacher of the Year Essay Contest
- Rafters New Front Office Addition Marks First Female Dominated Office in Northwoods League
- Rafters Continue to Give Back During 2020 Season
- Rafters Break Records in Historic 2020 Season