Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay
LA CROSSE, Wis. - Entering the final weekend of the regular season, the La Crosse Loggers remained in the hunt for the Great Plains East Division second half title with an 8-1 win over the Thunder Bay Border Cats before 3,067 fans on Friday night at Copeland Park.
For the second consecutive night, the Loggers (36-34, 19-15) scored five runs over the opening two innings, with Kyson Donahue (Arizona) collecting a hit and an run in each inning. Donahue finished 3-for-4 with an RBI and three runs scored. Tony Bullard (Arizona), Cody Jefferis (San Diego) and Liam Bendo (Saint Joseph's) each collected two hits on the day for La Crosse.
Steve Bowley (Shepherd) improved his record to 4-0 by scattering six hits and allowing just one run over 6.2 innings pitched, lowering his season ERA to 2.38. Owen Martin (Illinois Central) pitched 2.1 scoreless innings in relief for his third consecutive scoreless appearance.
Ryan Holgate (Arizona) hit a two-run home run in the sixth inning, his league-leading 13th home run of the season. His 52 RBI rank third in the Northwoods League and tie for fourth in Loggers single-season history, trailing David Schultz (53 RBI in 2003), Michael Katz (55 in 2013) and Harrison Freed (61 in 2018).
The Loggers trail the Eau Claire Express (38-30, 19-13) by two games in the loss column with two games to play.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent La Crosse Loggers Stories
- NWL Foundation to Award 22 Youth Equipment Grants in 2020; Youth Baseball Grant to be Awarded in La Crosse Market
- Jimmie Allen and Chase Bryant Set to Headline Copeland Summer Kickoff Concert on May 24, 2020
- Loggers Add Perry and Hahn from UCLA
- La Crosse Loggers to Host 2020 Major League Dreams Showcase
- Loggers Sign a Pair of Arms from Nebraska