Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish
KENOSHA, Wis. - The Kenosha Kingfish (20-16) lost to the Battle Creek Bombers (10-26) by a final score of 4-3 on Saturday evening in front of a sell-out crowd of 3,218 at Historic Simmons Field .
The loss snapped a six-game Kingfish winning streak.
Battle Creek took an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning on a Cooper Trinkle (John A. Logan) RBI groundout.
Kenosha evened the game up at 1-1 in the bottom of the first on a run-scoring Connor Mang (New Mexico) base hit.
Mike Jarvis singled home Mitchell Buban (Wisconsin-Milwaukee) in the third inning to give the Kingfish a 2-1 lead.
Mang came through again in the fifth inning with a broken bat single with the bases loaded to score Brendan Hueth (Saint Joseph's) and make the score 3-1.
Mang finished 3-for-4 with two RBI on Saturday.
Kingfish starting pitcher Anderson Strunk (Mott) stranded runners on second and third base in the sixth inning. Strunk exited the game after the sixth having allowed one run on eight hits and a walk while striking out five Bombers.
Seth Tucker (Hendrix) brought Battle Creek within a run in the seventh inning with an RBI triple on a line drive into the right field corner. Caleb Balgaard (Iowa Western) followed the Tucker triple with an RBI triple of his own to knot the game up at 3-3. Trace Peterson (Lake Erie) gave the Bombers a 4-3 lead with a sacrifice fly to deep center field.
Balgaard went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run on the night.
Bombers relief pitcher Beaux Bonvillain (Central Oklahoma) escaped a bases loaded jam in the eighth inning to keep Battle Creek ahead 4-3.
Bonvillain stayed on to secure the 4-3 win in the ninth inning and earn his eighth save of the summer.
Kevin Smith (Compton) got the win for Battle Creek to improve to 2-0 on the summer. Owen Reith (Carthage) suffered the loss for Kenosha.
The Kingfish and Bombers wrap up the 2019 season on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. at Historic Simmons Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kenosha Kingfish Stories
- Kingfish Close 2020 Kenosha Series with 8-5 WIn
- Kingfish Defeat Bobbers 18-0 in Record Setting Night
- Bobbers Stop Eight Game Skid with 8-3 Win over Kingfish
- Kingfish Win Eighth Straight to Tie Team Record Win Streak
- Kingfish Take 2020 Kenosha Series with 7th Straight Win