Stingers Beat Huskies
Willmar, Minn. - The Stingers claim Game 1 of the series versus the Duluth Huskies 9-1. Duluth is the last team the Stingers will play in the regular season.
Chris Peres (La Verne) made the start of the mound for Willmar. He pitched six solid innings for the Stingers as he had a no-hitter going into the fifth. Peres walked two batter and struck out five in his outing. The game was scoreless through the first inning. Daniel Walsh (Western Carolina) put the Stingers ahead in the second when his single that scored Justin King (Alabama). James Gamble (UNLV) had an RBI single of his own in the inning. His hit scored Riley Johnson (Augustana) to move the game to 2-0 Stingers.
Willmar added to their lead in the fourth when Branden Boissiere (Arizona) was walked with the base loaded. Walsh crossed home on the play to take a 3-0 Stingers lead. The Huskies scored their lone run of the game in the fifth inning. One run scored off of two hits to bring the score to 3-1. Joel Cheatwood (Montevallo) pitched a scoreless seventh inning for the Stingers. He faced four batters in the inning, striking out one.
Luke Bowman (SCSU) extended the Willmar lead in the seventh with a two-run single that scored Riley Johnson and Daniel Walsh. A few batters later, Luke Bowman and Riley Johnson scored on an error by the Huskies shortstop. 7-1 Stingers. James Gamble put the game away for Willmar when his triple scored McKenzie and King in the eighth. 9-1 Stingers. Garret Herring (Southwestern Illinois) pitched the last two innings. He shut the door on Duluth in the ninth for a 9-1 Stingers victory.
The Stingers will play their last game of the regular season tomorrow against the Duluth Huskies at Bill Taunton Stadium. First pitch 7:05pm CT!
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday - St. Cloud Rox
- Galason Cycles as Rafters Beat Chinooks - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Win Fourth Straight - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Mount Comeback to Topple Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Eau Claire Express Are Second-Half Champs and Playoff Bound - Eau Claire Express
- Stingers Beat Huskies - Willmar Stingers
- Stingers Down Huskies 9-1 - Duluth Huskies
- Great Plains East Sub-Divisional Series Schedule Set - Waterloo Bucks
- Galason Makes History, Rafters Blow out Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards in Game One - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Collapse Late in 11-6 Loss to Eau Claire - Waterloo Bucks
- Green Bay Falls in Final Road Game - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Fall to Honkers and out of Playoff Contention Saturday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Comeback to Beat Kingfish - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- KZoo Offense Cold in Loss to Traverse City - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Delano Tosses Three-Hitter, Rox Beat Border Cats in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Open Pivotal Series in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Players Honored - Eau Claire Express
- Four Rox Players Named Northwoods League Postseason All-Stars - St. Cloud Rox
- Ferguson & Rubalcaba Named to Postseason NWL All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Two Honkers Earn Postseason All-Star Status - Rochester Honkers
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders for Last Regular Season Home Game - Madison Mallards
- Former Growler John Schreiber Debuts in the Majors - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Former Kalamazoo Growler John Schreiber Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Loggers Stay in Playoff Hunt with 8-1 Win over Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- MoonDogs Fall in Back and Forth 12-Inning Marathon with Stingers Friday Night - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Complete Sweep of Rox - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.