Errors Leave Cougars Standing
Beloit, Wisconsin - Back-to-back-to-back ninth inning errors wasted a Justin Lewis gem in a 1-0 walk-off loss for the Kane County Cougars (23-18) on Friday night against the Beloit Snappers (14-24). It was the second walk-off loss of the year for the Cougars.
It was a 0-0 tie entering the bottom of the ninth when Chester Pimentel (2-2) took the mound for the Cougars. The inning began innocently with a flyout to left field. With one away, Lester Madden reached on a fielding error by Cougar first baseman Joe Gillette. With Madden at first, Pimentel made an errant pick-off throw that allowed Madden to race to third base. The next batter, Anthony Churlin rolled a ball to second base, where Cougar infielder Eddie Hernandez misplayed the ball, allowing Madden to score the winning run.
The defensive lapse mired Justin Lewis' excellent outing. The Cougar starter tossed six innings of shutout, two-hit baseball. Lewis struck out six batters and didn't walk any. Blake Workman was just as sharp, hurling two innings of one-hit baseball with four strikeouts and no walks. Pimentel's unearned run in the ninth cost him the decision.
Beloit pitchers Bryce Conley and and Wandisson Charles mirrored the work of Lewis and Workman. Conley surrendered no runs over six innings with six punchouts and a walk. Charles struck out five of the six batters he retired. Eric Marinez (2-1) worked a scoreless ninth to earn the win.
The Cougars and Snappers tangle in game three of the four-game series on Saturday night at 6:30. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2019
- LumberKings Fall in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Erases 9-1 Deficit to Defeat Burlington 14-9 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Errors Leave Cougars Standing - Kane County Cougars
- Streaks Continue for Akins, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Comeback Cubs Strike Again, Beat Dayton 6-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Eight-Run Sixth Powers Chiefs to Win Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sixth Inning Dooms River Bandits in 8-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Homers in Loss to Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps' 1st Inning Causes Lugs to Drop 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Walks Off 1-0 over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Start Paves Path for TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Build Early Lead But Fall in South Bend on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- All It Takes Is One - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Even Series With 3-1 Win Over Lake County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Ramiro Rodriguez transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for May 20-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Mike Nutter to be Inducted into the Northeast Indiana Baseball Association Hall of Fame - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Albee Weiss joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. Lansing (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- More Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Participants Released - Lake County Captains
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Split Doubleheader - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Outlast Hot Rods in Wild, Extra-Inning Affair - Lake County Captains
- Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Pitcher's Duel to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.