Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit
Beloit, Wisconsin - Kenny Hernandez and Ethan Larrison combined to power the Kane County Cougars (23-17) to a 2-1 win over the Beloit Snappers (13-24) at Pohlman Field on Thursday night. The Cougars have won two straight games.
Matt Tabor made the start for the Cougars. The only trouble he found was in the third inning. Marcos Brito and Joseph Pena collected back-to-back singles to start the inning. Payton Squier grounded out to shortstop to score Brito and make it 1-0 Snappers. Tabor threw a scoreless fourth and finished his night with one run allowed on three hits.
In the fifth, a pair of singles and a wild pitch put runners at second and third with one out. Keshawn Lynch served a sacrifice fly to center and the Cougars tied the game, 1-1. In the sixth, two walks started a Cougar rally. With Alek Thomas and Jose Herrera aboard, Buddy Kennedy laced a single to center scoring Thomas to hand the Cougars a 2-1 edge.
That was all Kenny Hernandez (4-0) and Ethan Larrison (2) needed. Hernandez earned the win, tossing 3.2 innings of shutout ball. Larrison recorded the final four outs to notch the save. Beloit's Bryce Nightengale (1-1) suffered the loss. He surrendered two runs on three hits over 5.1 innings.
The Cougars and Snappers reunite for game two of the four-game series on Friday night at 6:30. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2019
- LumberKings Fall in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Erases 9-1 Deficit to Defeat Burlington 14-9 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Errors Leave Cougars Standing - Kane County Cougars
- Streaks Continue for Akins, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Comeback Cubs Strike Again, Beat Dayton 6-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Eight-Run Sixth Powers Chiefs to Win Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sixth Inning Dooms River Bandits in 8-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Homers in Loss to Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps' 1st Inning Causes Lugs to Drop 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Walks Off 1-0 over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Start Paves Path for TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Build Early Lead But Fall in South Bend on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- All It Takes Is One - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Even Series With 3-1 Win Over Lake County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Ramiro Rodriguez transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for May 20-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Mike Nutter to be Inducted into the Northeast Indiana Baseball Association Hall of Fame - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Albee Weiss joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. Lansing (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- More Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Participants Released - Lake County Captains
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Split Doubleheader - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Outlast Hot Rods in Wild, Extra-Inning Affair - Lake County Captains
- Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Pitcher's Duel to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season