Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - A long night of baseball ends with both the Great Lakes Loons and West Michigan Whitecaps coming away with victories. First pitch of game one to final out of game two totaled five hours and 40 minutes, but the long night didn't lull either offense to sleep.
West Michigan (17-22) used a six-run fifth inning in game one to produce the highest run output of the season (11) against the Loons. Great Lakes (22-15) scored a trio of runs in two separate innings in game two to earn the split.
It was newcomers who headlined on Thursday night at Fifth Third Ballpark. For the 'Caps, Reynaldo Rivera and Dayton Dugas made their 2019 West Michigan debuts in game one and combined to go 6-for-8 with two doubles and a home run. For the Loons, their game two starter, John Rooney, was impressive in his 2019 debut after battling finger soreness in extended spring training. Rooney threw four scoreless innings while picking off two runners bringing his professional total to 12 in just nine games.
The doubleheader marked the start of the longest road trip of the season for the Loons. Day two of eight is Friday with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT against the West Michigan Whitecaps.
DOUBLEHEADER OFFENSIVE STANDOUTS
Miguel Vargas: 3-6, 3 R, 2 2B, 2 BB
James Outman: 3-6, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SB
Jair Camargo: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI
Luke Heyer: 1-6, HR, 2 RBI
May 24: Feel Good Friday Kickoff; postgame Koozie Giveaway & concert with Jack Droppers & the Best Intentions
May 25: 3 Millionth Fan Celebration with $5,000 grand prize; postgame Fireworks Loontacular
May 26: Lou E's Kids Club Takeover
May 27: Military Appreciation Day feat. the first game-worn jersey auction of the season
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2019
- LumberKings Fall in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Erases 9-1 Deficit to Defeat Burlington 14-9 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Errors Leave Cougars Standing - Kane County Cougars
- Streaks Continue for Akins, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Comeback Cubs Strike Again, Beat Dayton 6-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Eight-Run Sixth Powers Chiefs to Win Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sixth Inning Dooms River Bandits in 8-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Homers in Loss to Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps' 1st Inning Causes Lugs to Drop 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Walks Off 1-0 over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Start Paves Path for TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Build Early Lead But Fall in South Bend on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- All It Takes Is One - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Even Series With 3-1 Win Over Lake County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Ramiro Rodriguez transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for May 20-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Mike Nutter to be Inducted into the Northeast Indiana Baseball Association Hall of Fame - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Albee Weiss joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. Lansing (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- More Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Participants Released - Lake County Captains
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Split Doubleheader - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Outlast Hot Rods in Wild, Extra-Inning Affair - Lake County Captains
- Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Pitcher's Duel to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.