All It Takes Is One
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - The Great Lakes Loons bats were held mostly quiet in all but one inning on Friday night at Fifth Third Ballpark against the West Michigan Whitecaps. The Loons used a four-run fifth inning to come away with a 4-3 win in game three of a five-game series.
Great Lakes (23-15) scored all four of their fifth-inning runs with two outs. Against West Michigan starter Wilkel Hernandez, the Loons put five straight baserunners aboard beginning with a walk by Leonel Valera. Then, Chris Roller singled, Miguel Vargas singled, Hunter Feduccia doubled and Niko Hulsizer singled home two runs on the biggest hit of the inning. Hernandez (L, 4-3) ultimately finished off six innings with those four earned runs on six hits and one walk.
West Michigan had scored the first run of the game in the third inning on a sac fly and brought themselves within one with two more runs in the sixth inning, but Loons starter Stephen Kolek was able to do just enough to earn the win. Kolek (W, 2-2) fell one out short of becoming just the second Loons starter to log six innings this season. The former Texas A&M Aggie allowed three earned runs on five hits and one walk.
After Kolek departed, the combination of Joel Inoa and Brett de Geus shut the Whitecaps out over the final three 1/3 innings. Inoa increased his scoreless innings streak to six 1/3 innings with one 1/3 innings in the game. de Geus (S, 1) pitched the final two innings while facing just one above the minimum. It's the first save of de Geus' career after being used exclusively as a starter in his first year playing in pro ball in 2018.
The Loons are now two days in their longest road trip of the season and they're off to a 2-1 start. Game four of the trip is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT Saturday against West Michigan. The probable pitching matchup features two right-handers with sub-three earned run averages - Andre Jackson for Great Lakes and Carlos Guzman for West Michigan. Radio pregame coverage begins at 6:35.
May 24: Feel Good Friday Kickoff; postgame Koozie Giveaway & concert with Jack Droppers & the Best Intentions
May 25: 3 Millionth Fan Celebration with $5,000 grand prize; postgame Fireworks Loontacular
May 26: Lou E's Kids Club Takeover
May 27: Military Appreciation Day feat. the first game-worn jersey auction of the season
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2019
- LumberKings Fall in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Erases 9-1 Deficit to Defeat Burlington 14-9 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Errors Leave Cougars Standing - Kane County Cougars
- Streaks Continue for Akins, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Comeback Cubs Strike Again, Beat Dayton 6-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Eight-Run Sixth Powers Chiefs to Win Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sixth Inning Dooms River Bandits in 8-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Homers in Loss to Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps' 1st Inning Causes Lugs to Drop 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Walks Off 1-0 over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Start Paves Path for TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Build Early Lead But Fall in South Bend on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- All It Takes Is One - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Even Series With 3-1 Win Over Lake County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Ramiro Rodriguez transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for May 20-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Mike Nutter to be Inducted into the Northeast Indiana Baseball Association Hall of Fame - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Albee Weiss joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. Lansing (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- More Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Participants Released - Lake County Captains
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Split Doubleheader - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Outlast Hot Rods in Wild, Extra-Inning Affair - Lake County Captains
- Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Pitcher's Duel to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.