River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1
Peoria, IL - The Quad Cities River Bandits enjoyed an offensive explosion with big nights from multiple players on their way to a 21-1 win over the Peoria Chiefs at Dozer Park on Thursday night. Marty Costes drove in seven runs and shortstop Jeremy Pena finished a single short of the cycle. The River Bandits hit four home runs in the game in cruising to a series-opening win.
Following a missed opportunity by the River Bandits, who grounded into a double play with the bases loaded in the top of the first, the Chiefs scored their lone run of the game in the bottom half. Brady Whalen drove in the only run Bandits starting pitcher Jojanse Torres has allowed this season with a solo home run to right.
A broken bat single from Costes tied the game in the top of the third before Quad Cities went off for nine runs in the fourth to blow the game wide open. The first 10 batters of the inning reached base safely and in the end 13 players stepped to the plate in the frame. The big hits in the frame were a two-run double from Pena and a bases clearing double that drove in three from Costes.
The Bandits (24-12) added two more runs to their lead in the fifth and another run in the sixth as Pena launched his third long ball of the campaign to make it 13-1. Another home run, this one the first of the season for Michael Wielansky, increased the advantage to 15-1 after eight.
Peoria (17-21) reliever Thomas St. Clair walked the bases loaded with two outs in the ninth inning causing the Chiefs to call on infielder Josh Shaw to pitch. Scott Schreiber lined a two-run double to right as the first batter to stand in against the position player. Costes followed with a booming three-run home run to left and then David Hensley made it back-to-back long balls with a solo blast in the next at bat. The River Bandits have hit back-to-back home runs twice this season and Hensley provided the second each time.
Costes became the first River Bandits player to collect seven RBI in a game since Daz Cameron on April 28, 2017 in Clinton. Pena and Schreiber joined Costes with three hits and each had three RBI and scored four runs. Trey Dawson reached base five times with a single, two walks and two hit by pitches.
Torres struck out seven while allowing four hits over 5.0 innings to collect his third win. Austin Hansen followed with 3.0 scoreless innings and has now worked 20.0 straight innings without surrendering a run. The game was closed out by Jonathan Bermudez in the ninth. The four pitchers combined to collect 12 strikeouts.
The River Bandits will continue this four-game series in Peoria on Friday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Jose Bravo is expected to start in his first appearance with the River Bandits. Peoria has not yet announced their starting pitcher for the contest.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2019
- LumberKings Fall in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Erases 9-1 Deficit to Defeat Burlington 14-9 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Errors Leave Cougars Standing - Kane County Cougars
- Streaks Continue for Akins, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Comeback Cubs Strike Again, Beat Dayton 6-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Eight-Run Sixth Powers Chiefs to Win Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sixth Inning Dooms River Bandits in 8-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Homers in Loss to Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps' 1st Inning Causes Lugs to Drop 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Walks Off 1-0 over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Start Paves Path for TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Build Early Lead But Fall in South Bend on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- All It Takes Is One - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Even Series With 3-1 Win Over Lake County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Ramiro Rodriguez transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for May 20-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Mike Nutter to be Inducted into the Northeast Indiana Baseball Association Hall of Fame - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Albee Weiss joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. Lansing (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- More Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Participants Released - Lake County Captains
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Split Doubleheader - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Outlast Hot Rods in Wild, Extra-Inning Affair - Lake County Captains
- Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Pitcher's Duel to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th