Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4
The Bees walked off for the sixth time this season and the second time in as many nights, beating Wisconsin 5-4 on Jordyn Adams line drive single to right in the tenth inning.
Justin Jones started as the placed runner at second in the Bees half of the extra frame. The throw on sacrifice bunt by Kevin Arias was not in time to get Jones at third. Arias was safe at first on the play. First and third. Wisconsin walked Kevin Maitan intentionally to load the bases and set up Adams heroics. It was the third game ending hit this year for the young center fielder.
The teams traded the lead until the fifth inning, when Harrison Wenson doubled to right with one out. Jones plated him with a single. It was his second run batted in since arriving a week ago. The shortstop also popped a solo shot in the third. The Wenson run tied the game at four.
Robinson Pina, who had given up two runs in the top of the fifth, settled in to dominate the rest of the way and earn his third win. He allowed two runs on 2 hits and two walks. He struck out eight.
Hector Yan started for the Bees. He pitched his way in and out of trouble in the second and third innings. He escaped a bases loaded, one out jam in the second by getting a 1-3 fielder's choice comebacker for the second out, then striking out Kory Howell for the third.
Spencer Griffin hit a solo home run in the Burlington second. It was his fourth of 2019. He had a total of three in the previous two seasons. Jones was two for four with his homer and single.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2019
- LumberKings Fall in Extras - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Erases 9-1 Deficit to Defeat Burlington 14-9 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Errors Leave Cougars Standing - Kane County Cougars
- Streaks Continue for Akins, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Comeback Cubs Strike Again, Beat Dayton 6-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Eight-Run Sixth Powers Chiefs to Win Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sixth Inning Dooms River Bandits in 8-0 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Homers in Loss to Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps' 1st Inning Causes Lugs to Drop 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Walks Off 1-0 over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Start Paves Path for TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Build Early Lead But Fall in South Bend on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- All It Takes Is One - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Even Series With 3-1 Win Over Lake County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Ramiro Rodriguez transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for May 20-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Mike Nutter to be Inducted into the Northeast Indiana Baseball Association Hall of Fame - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Albee Weiss joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 17 vs. Lansing (Game 39) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- More Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Participants Released - Lake County Captains
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Split Doubleheader - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Outlast Hot Rods in Wild, Extra-Inning Affair - Lake County Captains
- Loons Split Doubleheader in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Bullpen Gem Hands Cougars Win in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Win Series Opener in Extras, 5-4 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Pitcher's Duel to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Run Roughshod over Chiefs 21-1 - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.