Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight
The SeaWolves offense exploded on Wednesday night at NYSEG Stadium as they avoided a series sweep with a 10-3 win over the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.
The SeaWolves took the lead in the top of the first inning against Ponies starter Andrew Church. Will Maddox singled with one out and moved to second on a Josh Lester base hit. Blaise Salter singled home Maddox for a 1-0 lead.
The Rumble Ponies quickly tied the game in the last of the first when Jeff McNeil connected on a solo home run to right off of Erie starter Beau Burrows.
The 'Wolves regained the lead in the second. Herlis Rodriguez led off with a walk and scored on a Troy Montgomery triple for a 2-1 lead. Sergio Alcantara doubled home Montgomery for a 3-1 advantage.
Erie added to the lead in the fifth. Danny Woodrow, Maddox and Lester started the inning with three consecutive base hits to knock out the starter Church. Binghamton brought in reliever Adonis Uceta to face Salter. Salter lifted a sacrifice fly to right, scoring Woodrow for a 4-1 lead. Dominic Ficociello followed with an opposite-field, two-run double off the wall for a 6-1 lead. Jake Rogers followed the double with a walk. Both Ficociello and Rogers scored on a pop-up to the third baseman Nick Sergakis that was dropped and the error made it 8-1.
The SeaWolves went ahead 9-1 in the top of the sixth against Uceta as Woodrow led off with a triple and scored on a wild pitch.
The Ponies closed the gap in the last of the seventh against Erie reliever Gerson Moreno on a pair of solo home runs from Levi Michael and Nick Sergakis making it a 9-3 game.
In the top of the ninth, the SeaWolves would once again add to their lead against reliever Austin McGeorge. Salter led off and clubbed a solo home run over the wall in left making it 10-3. It was his first Double-A home run and capped a three-RBI night.
Burrows (5-2) earned his fourth straight win for the SeaWolves. He allowed a run on five hits with a walk and three strikeouts in six innings of work.
Church (1-5) took the loss for Binghamton allowing six runs on eight hits with a walk and a season-high eight strikeouts.
The SeaWolves return home to UPMC on Friday, May 18 against the Reading Fightin Phils (Philadelphia Phillies) at 6:05 p.m. Righty Sandy Baez (0-2, 4.23 ERA) takes the mound for the SeaWolves.
Friday, the first 1,000 fans receive a Justin Verlander World Champion bobblehead courtesy of UPMC Hamot. Fans can also enjoy Happy Hour in the Bud Light Beer Garden until first pitch and after the game, fans can stick around to meet a SeaWolves player and C. Wolf to get an autograph in the Team Store thanks to Plyler Entry Systems.
ERIE (15-23) 10-13-0
BINGHAMTON (19-18) 3-7-3
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.