Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks
In a game that began after 9 p.m. due to thunderstorms, a dominant start by Erik Swanson fell by the wayside, and a late Thunder comeback fell short in a 4-3 loss to the Akron RubberDucks on Tuesday night at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Swanson struck out eight batters over six scoreless innings for the Thunder (23-14), but received just one run of support on a Bruce Caldwell RBI-groundout in the fifth inning. He dueled with RubberDucks (22-16) right-hander Dominic DeMasi, who lasted six and two-thirds innings.
The one-run Trenton lead lasted until the top of the eighth, as a Thunder fielding error and a Connor Marabell single chased reliever James Reeves from the game with the tying and go-ahead runs on base. Matt Frawley entered from the bullpen and surrendered a go-ahead two-run triple to Sicnarf Loopstok, and Dorssys Paulino followed with a two-run homer to left field for a 4-1 RubberDucks advantage.
In the bottom of the ninth, Jhalan Jackson singled and took second on a bobble on the play. After a strikeout, Mandy Alvarez hit a pinch-hit single to plate Jackson, and then scored on a pinch-hit double by Trey Amburgey, but the tying run was left stranded as David Speer struck out Jeff Hendrix to end the game.
Rehabbing Yankees players Greg Bird and Billy McKinney both went hitless in the game, with the latter drawing walks in his final two plate appearances.
Abiatal Avelino hit a leadoff single in the fifth inning for the Thunder, extending his on-base streak and hitting streak to 14 and nine games, respectively, both matching season-highs by a Thunder player.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Wednesday morning at 10:30am against the RubberDucks. RHP Will Carter (0-2, 5.76) will start for the Thunder, and LHP Sean Brady (1-3, 4.28) will go for Akron. The morning will be the third Education Day of the season at ARM & HAMMER Park. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Trueno de Trenton to Play at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Opening Night Scarf, Rookie Travel Pillow Highlight 2019 Giveaways at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Yankees Name Patrick Osborn 2019 Thunder Manager
- Gift of Baseball Program Returns to Benefit Area Non-Profits
- Thunder Pork Roll Return to the Field for 2019 Season