Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback
HARTFORD, CT - A game-tying solo blast from Bo Bichette in the seventh and a go-ahead two-run homer off the bat of Jonathan Davis in the eleventh inning spurred the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays) to a 7-6 win over the Hartford Yard Goats (Rockies) Tuesday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park.
Down 5-4 in the seventh stanza, Bichette led off the inning with his first career Double-A home run, a no-doubter to left field that tied the game at five.
In the eleventh, Davis' big fly came with one out and the "designated runner" on second base. It was his second home run of the season.
Justin Shafer (W, 2-2) worked a season-high three innings of relief to secure the victory.
Trailing 3-0 after one, New Hampshire got on the board with a run in the second inning. Cavan Biggio slugged his league-leading eleventh home run of the season to start the frame, cutting the deficit to two runs.
The 'Cats tied the game with two scoress in the third thanks to an RBI single from Bichette and a sacrifice fly courtesy of Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
Hartford retook the lead in the bottom of the third with a pair of runs, but a Connor Panas double to begin the sixth started the comeback. Panas scored when Juan Kelly roped a single off the right field wall to bring the Fisher Cats within one, and Bichette's blast came an inning later.
Kirby Snead and Dalton Rodriguez joined Shafer in the triumvirate of relievers who worked a combined six innings and allowed one unearned run on one hit, walked three and struck out five. No Yard Goat reached second on their own volition from the sixth inning until the eleventh, when an RBI double by Brian Mundell plated the lone run allowed by the 'Cats bullpen.
The series and the road trip conclude tomorrow morning at Dunkin' Donuts Park. RHP Jordan Romano of New Hampshire will go for his league-best seventh win while Hartford sends RHP Jesus Tinoco to the hill. Coverage begin at 10:15 a.m. with the Fisher Cats Pregame Show and continues with first pitch at 10:35 a.m. on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Hampshire Fisher Cats Stories
- Fisher Cats Win First Title Since 2011
- One More Win: NH Takes 2-0 ELCS Lead, Moves to Brink of Title
- Forrest Wall's 10th Inning Single Gives NH 1-0 ELCS Lead
- Championship Series Preview: Fisher Cats Take on RubberDucks for Eastern League Crown
- Title Bound: Fisher Cats Complete Sweep of Thunder in EDCS