Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win
HARTFORD, CT - Nearly eight hitless innings, a four-hit performance from Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Cavan Biggio's league-best 12th home run of the season helped the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays) complete a three-game sweep of the Hartford Yard Goats (Rockies) with a 7-1 win at Dunkin' Donuts Park Wednesday afternoon.
Biggio's blast was the highlight of a five-run third in which the 'Cats sent all nine men to the dish. Andrew Guillotte led off with a double and scored the first run of the game when Ryan Hissey singled in the next at-bat. After a Jonathan Davis triple scored Hissey, Bo Bichette played Davis with a sacrifice fly to clear the bases and make it 3-0 Fisher Cats. Vlad Jr. followed with a double, setting up Biggio's big fly one batter later. When the dust settled, New Hampshire had scored five runs on five hits in the frame.
As it turned out, the Fisher Cats pitching staff would need just two of those five runs in one of the finest pitched games of the year for the 'Cats. Starter Jordan Romano (W, 7-0) became the first Fisher Cats pitcher in franchise history to start a season with seven wins and no losses thanks to six hitless innings in which he walked two and struck out five.
The 'Cats would add single runs in the fifth and seventh, with the latter stanza featuring Guerrero Jr.'s seventh home run of the season. His solo shot to begin the inning gave him four hits on the day, the first Fisher Cat with a four-knock performance this season.
Danny Young came on in relief of Romano in the seventh and struck out the side. In the eighth, a two-out solo home run spoiled the no-hitter and shutout, but Young was otherwise excellent. Dusty Isaacs allowed one hit in the ninth but put up a zero to secure the 7-1 victory.
With the win, New Hampshire remains tied for first place in the Eastern Division and are a season-best 10 games over .500. The last time the Fisher Cats were 10 over .500 was the end of the 2011 season (77-65 +12). The 'Cats have not been above .500 on June 1 since 2011. The 2011 team went 23-8 in May, the best month ever. They're also undefeated in seven games in Hartford this season.
Vlad Jr. finished the day with four hits in five trips and a triple shy of the cycle. He scored thrice and delivered his league-leading 40th RBI of the year courtesy of his solo home run. Guillotte, Biggio and Davis all recorded multi-hit efforts.
The Fisher Cats return home Thursday night for the first of five games against the Binghamton Rumble Ponies (Mets). While the starting pitchers have yet to be announced, coverage will begin at 6:15 p.m. on with the Fisher Cats Pregame Show and continues with first pitch at 6:35 p.m on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network. Tickets are available via nhfishercats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Hampshire Fisher Cats Stories
- 2004 World Series Champion Orlando Cabrera to Attend Granite State Baseball Dinner
- First-Round Pick Grant Lavigne to Attend Granite State Baseball Dinner
- First Ballot Hall of Famer Steve Carlton Highlights Granite State Baseball Dinner Guest List
- Fisher Cats Nominated for MiLB's Top Honor
- Fisher Cats Win First Title Since 2011