Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win
The Harrisburg Senators won the rubber match of the three-game series against the Bowie Baysox 5-2 on Wednesday afternoon. Juan Soto hit the go-ahead two-run home run in the fifth and the Senators shutout the Baysox over the final five innings to capture the series.
Bowie took a quick lead in the bottom of the first on a run-scoring fielder's choice by Anthony Santander against Senators starter Luis Reyes.
The lead was short lived as the Senators tied the game with a run in the second. With Dan Gamache and Taylor Gushue aboard on a walk and single respectively, Osvaldo Abreu hit an RBI single against Bowie starter Keegan Akin to tie the game 1-1.
The Baysox retook the lead with a run in the fourth when Corban Joseph knocked a sacrifice fly.
The Senators responded in the top of the fifth with three runs to take the lead for good. Daniel Johnson tied the game with a run-scoring double with one out. One batter later, Juan Soto launched a two-run home run to right to put the Senators ahead 4-2.
Reyes (3-4) allowed two runs on five hits while walking five over five innings. It's the fifth straight start Reyes has allowed two earned runs or less.
Akin (4-4) surrendered four runs on seven hits across five and a third innings.
Taylor Gushue added to the lead with an RBI single in the seventh to put the Senators in front 5-2.
That would be the final score as Derek Self finished the game with two scoreless innings to earn his third save.
Drew Ward, Johnson, Abreu and Gushue all recorded a pair of hits to lead the Senators offense. The Senators have won two out of their last three series and each of their last two road sets.
The Senators continue the road trip with a four-game series against the Richmond Flying Squirrels beginning Thursday night. Jaron Long starts the series opener for the Senators against Richmond starter Garrett Williams. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at the Diamond.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Harrisburg Senators Stories
- Home-Win Bound: Sens Close 2018 with Sweep
- Sharp Is Sterling as Sens Win Third Straight
- Senators Expel Squirrels 7-4 to Complete Suspended Game
- Senators Come Back to Ground Squirrels in Extras 4-3
- One If by Land, Eight If by Sea(Wolves): Erie Spoils Sens Home Finale 15-7