Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8
Reading, PA - The Portland Sea Dogs (13-24) and Reading Fightin Phils (14-22) resumed Tuesday's suspended game in the bottom of the ninth, with the Fightins winning 9-8. In the regularly scheduled nine-inning game, the Sea Dogs won 8-2.
Portland could not hold on to a 7-0 lead on Tuesday, as Reading scored nine unanswered runs. The two teams resumed the game after a one hour and 13-minute delay at the start, and Reading held on for a 9-8 win. Seth McGarry (W, 2-1) retired Chad De La Guerra with a runner at third base to end the game.
Game 2 Recap
The Sea Dogs took advantage of a one-out error by 2B Brandon Bednar in the first and scored four times off losing pitcher Elniery Garcia (0-4). Tate Matheny knocked home the first run with a single, but on the very next pitch, Austin Rei launched a three-run homer down the left-field line.
Kyle Hart (2-3) worked five strong innings on two hits and two runs to earn the win. Hart allowed a solo-homer to Deivi Grullon in the second.
Portland responded in the third inning when Jantzen Witte (3-for-4) hit a long homer to left-center field. Witte is 11-for-20 in four games since joining the Sea Dogs from Triple-a Pawtucket. Matheny added a second two-out RBI single in the fifth. Portland added two in the sixth when Jhon Nunez tripled and scored on a throwing error. Chad De La Guerra delivered a run-scoring groundout.
Jordan Weems pitched two scoreless frames on one hit, and Daniel McGrath closed out the game with two perfect frames.
The Sea Dogs open up a four-game series with the Altoona Curve (Pirates affiliate) on Thursday night at Peoples Natural Gas Field. Radio coverage begins at 5:45 PM on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network. MiLB.TV starts at 5:55 PM. Righty Kevin McAvoy takes on Pedro Vasquez.
Tickets for Portland's next homestand on May 22-28 can be purchased by visiting seadogs.com or calling 207-879-9500.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.