Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale
(Reading, PA) - Game 1 Recap: The third game of the series between the Fightin Phils and Sea Dogs was scheduled for seven innings as part of a Tuesday doubleheader to make up the three consecutive cancellations the last time the Fightins were in Portland. A Chad De La Guerra grand slam in the second off Franklyn Kilome made it 4-0 early, and after a sacrifice fly from Jantzen Witte in the fourth, De La Guerra drove in his fifth run with a fifth inning single to make it 7-0.
For the first five innings, the Fightin Phils couldn't get anything going against lefthander Dedgar Jimenez. But they came back with their biggest half inning of the season in the sixth, batting around for the first time, and getting a game-tying three run homer from Brandon Bednar. Tied at seven, the game went beyond the seventh inning, forcing extras between the two teams for the second time this season at FirstEnergy Stadium. Playing as the road team, Cord Sandberg delivered a two-run homer off the roof in right field to make it 9-7. With a tornado warning in the area, the game was suspended in the middle of the ninth with the Sea Dogs down to their last three outs.
When the game resumed on Wednesday morning, the Sea Dogs made things interesting when Nick Lovullo drew a walk to put the tying runs on base under the new extra-inning rules. A Jhon Nunez sacrifice and a groundout from Jeremy Rivera made it 9-8 and put the tying run at third base, but Seth McGarry struck out De La Guerra for his second save.
Game 2 Recap: A Fightin Phils error in the top of the first behind lefthanded starter Elniery Garcia made things tricky, and a Tate Matheny run scoring single preceded an Austin Rei three-run homer off the left field foul pole for a 4-0 Sea Dogs lead.
The Fightins got runs back on Zach Green's first inning single and Deivi Grullon's seventh home run in the second, but didn't score for the rest of the afternoon and never got closer than 4-2. Witte led off the third with a home run to make it 5-2, and Matheny's second RBI single in the fifth tacked on a run. The Sea Dogs scored twice more in the sixth, with the final run coming across on De La Guerra's single for an 8-2 final.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region. Season tickets for the 2018 season are available online at Fightins.com, by phone at 610-370-BALL, and in-person at FirstEnergy Stadium. Follow the Fightin Phils on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Fightin Phils Stories
- Fightins to Play as "Los Peleadores" on Fiesta Fridays as Part of MiLB's COPA Initiative
- Fightins to Play Split-Season Format Beginning in 2019
- Shawn Williams Named New Fightin Phils Manager
- Kirsten Karbach Hired as New Director of Public/Media Relations and Broadcaster
- Jimmy Rollins to be Inducted into Baseballtown Hall of Fame