Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks
The Thunder battled back from an early two-run deficit to win the series finale over the Akron RubberDucks, 5-4, in front of a crowd of 6,408 on Education Day at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Thunder (24-14) starter Will Carter allowed a run in both the first and second innings on a RBI-double and a RBI-single, respectively, both off the bat of Akron's (22-17) Connor Marabell. Trenton trimmed the deficit to one run on a bases-loaded walk by Chace Numata in the second, but Bobby Bradley slugged a solo homer in the top of the third to re-extend the RubberDucks lead to two runs.
In the bottom of the third, the Thunder tied the score, as Abiatal Avelino singled and later scored on a fielding error by shortstop Todd Hankins. With runners on second and third, Ben Ruta singled to right field, plating both runners and giving the Thunder a 4-3 lead against Akron starter Sean Brady.
Carter allowed the RubberDucks to tie the score at 4-4 in the fifth on a fielder's choice grounder by Andrew Calica, and yielded to reliever Andrew Schwaab with two out, who induced an inning-ending flyout to strand two runners.
Mandy Alvarez led off the bottom of the sixth with a single off Akron reliever Nick Pasquale and eventually scored the go-ahead run on a single by Numata. Caleb Frare and Jordan Foley pitched the final two and one-third innings for the Thunder, with the latter earning the save with a scoreless ninth inning, giving Trenton the series victory.
Avelino's fifth-inning single extended his hitting streak to 10 games, and his on-base streak to 15 games, both team-highs.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Thursday night at 7pm against the Bowie Baysox. LHP Ryan Bollinger (2-0, 0.00) will start for the Thunder, and LHP Jayson Aquino (1-1, 3.60) will go for Bowie. For Thirsty Thursday, fans 21 and older can enjoy $2.00 16 oz. drafts of Bud and Bud Light, as well as $2.50 Bud and Bud Light bottles, and all fans will be treated to a postgame Fireworks Spectacular, presented by Hyatt Regency Princeton. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- SeaWolves Spoil Sweep Bid, 10-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie Offense Explodes and Burrows Wins Fourth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Help Make-A-Wish Come True - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Flying Squirrels Rained out on Wednesday - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels & Curve Postponed in Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins Hang on in Suspended Game before Sea Dogs Win Finale - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sweet-Swinging Fisher Cats Return Home for Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Win 8-2 After Dropping Suspended Game 9-8 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Soto's Two-Run Home Run Lifts Senators to Series Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder Take Rubber Game from RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad, Biggio Keep Slugging While Pitching Staff Dominates in Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Bested by Trenton 5-4 - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans - Hartford Yard Goats
- Guerrero Jr., Romano Audition for the 'Show' as Fisher Cats Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #37 - Rumble Ponies (19-17) vs. SeaWolves (14-23) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Win Suspended Game to Even Series - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 16th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Loopstok, Paulino Provide Late-Night Boost for RubberDucks Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #37 & 38 - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Homers Spark 'Cats Comeback - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RubberDucks Outlast Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Lose Wet One to RubberDucks - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.