Detroit Assigns Hirose and Zadina to Grand Rapids
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday assigned forwards Taro Hirose and Filip Zadina to the Grand Rapids Griffins.
ï»¿ï»¿Hirose, 23, has played in 23 games for the Red Wings this season and is the team's top rookie scorer with seven points (2-5-7) and six penalty minutes in 12:16 average ice time.
ï»¿ï»¿The 5-foot-10, 162-pound winger was signed to a two-year entry-level contract by the Red Wings on March 12, 2019 and made his pro debut during a 10-game stint at the end of last season after finishing a three-year career at Michigan State. He began his NHL career on a five-game point streak and totaled seven points (1-6-7) in his first action.
ï»¿ï»¿A native of Calgary, Alberta, Hirose spent the previous three seasons (2016-19) at Michigan State University where he racked up 116 points (33-83-116) and 39 PIM in 106 contests. During his final collegiate campaign in 2018-19, he tied for the NCAA lead with 50 points in 36 games while ranking third with 1.39 points per game and second with 35 assists on his way to being named a Hobey Baker Award finalist, a First Team All-American, the Big Ten Player of the Year, a unanimous All-Big Ten First Team selection, an Academic All-Big Ten selection and to the All-College Hockey News First Team.
ï»¿ï»¿Zadina, 20, made his NHL season debut on Nov. 24 against Carolina and has contributed two assists while averaging 13:55 of ice time in five games. The 6-foot, 188-pound winger ranks among the Griffins' leaders this season with 13 points (3rd), seven goals (3rd), six assists (T7th) and four power play goals (2nd) in 19 games. He has points in six of his last seven AHL games.
ï»¿ï»¿Since becoming the 176th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he made his debut with the Red Wings on Feb. 24, 2019 vs. San Jose, Zadina has posted five points (1-4-5) in 14 career games.
ï»¿ï»¿The sixth overall selection in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft by Detroit, Zadina has logged 78 games with the Griffins since turning pro last season, accounting for 48 points (23-25-48) and 26 PIM. In five Calder Cup Playoff games, Zadina shows three points (2-1-3).
ï»¿ï»¿During the 2017-18 season, his first in North America, Zadina skated in 57 games with the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL and was selected the Mike Bossy Trophy winner as the league's best professional prospect in addition to garnering spots on both the QMJHL First All-Star Team and the All-Rookie Team after tying for seventh overall with 82 points (44-38-82).
ï»¿ï»¿The Griffins (9-12-1-1) host Chicago on Wednesday and Rockford on Friday. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- Admirals Winning Streak Comes to An End - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Assign Boomhower to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Detroit Assigns Hirose and Zadina to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weekly: Penguins Finish Excellent November with Big-Time Offense - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- After First AHL Win, Daccord Seeking More - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Recall Gates from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Forward Lukas Craggs Suspended by AHL - Milwaukee Admirals
- Matt Weis Re-Assigned to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Bears Weekly: Win on World Record Teddy Bear Toss Night Hopes to Get Club on Track - Hershey Bears
- Ontario Reign Gala, Pins & Pucks On-Sale Now - Ontario Reign
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Host Two Illinois Squads this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Team up with Physicians Ambulance to Present Season of Giving - Cleveland Monsters
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves Affecting Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Boston Bruins' Brad Marchand Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Admirals to Donate $3 from December 13 Ticket Sales to Children's - Milwaukee Admirals
- Reign Assign Baylis to Fort Wayne - Ontario Reign
- Sens Recall Bourque, Reassign Beauchemin - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Anselmini to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 9 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman T.J. Melancon to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Game 21 Preview: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.