Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
December 3, 2019 - American Hockey League (AHL)
This past week the Arena Football League filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and ceased operations, the Indoor Football League awarded an expansion team to Frisco, Texas, the NBA G League's Memphis Hustle ran its season-opening winning streak to eight games, and the National Lacrosse League started its season. Highlights from this week are from XFL, American Hockey League, Western Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, NBA G League and National Lacrosse League.
Arena Football League
The Arena Football League (AFL) announced it has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and is fully ceasing operations. AFL Commissioner Randall Boe said, "We're all disappointed that we couldn't find a way forward and we wanted to thank our fans, our players, coaches, everyone who loved the Arena Football League. We all love the game and tried very hard to make it successful, but we simply weren't able to raise the capital necessary to grow the League, resolve the substantial legacy liabilities and make it financially viable."
This is how we made the eight custom-designed, team-colored, X-pebble-covered, easy-to-grip-throw-and-catch XFL game balls.
Canadian Football League
The Edmonton Eskimos have relieved Jason Maas of his duties as head coach, effective immediately. Maas was named the 21st head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos on Dec. 14, 2015. After four seasons, he leaves with a 39-33 regular-season record and 3-3 post-season record that includes three division final appearances.
The Montreal Alouettes announced that Khari Jones has signed a new deal with the organization and will remain the team's Head Coach for at least the next three seasons. He will also continue to act as offensive coordinator.
Indoor Football League
Professional football returns to Frisco this spring with the launch of the Indoor Football League's newest member. The team will be owned by Steve and Kim Germain and their children Jessica, Austin, and Zach. The addition of Frisco gives the league 13 teams for the 2020 season.
The Indoor Football League (IFL) is proud to announce its 2020 regular season schedule. The 17-week, 91-game schedule kicks off on Saturday, March 7 and concludes on Saturday, June 27. Four new members join the IFL for the 2020 season. Two established teams are joined by two new expansion members. The Spokane Shock return to the IFL and are joined by the accomplished Duke City Gladiators. The Oakland Panthers and the yet unnamed team in Frisco, TX are the newest expansion members.
American Hockey League
The Hershey Bears have once again established a new world record in one of the best promotions in all of sports. The Bears, the oldest and most decorated team in the American Hockey League, collected 45,650 teddy bears and stuffed animals in the annual Teddy Bear Toss.
Western Hockey League
The Tampa Bay Lightning prospect & Kelowna Rockets captain forward Nolan Foote goal sends the stuffed animals flying over the boards in Kelowna.
The Worcester Railers, proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, announced that the club has relieved Jamie Russell of general manager and head coaching duties and named David Cuniff as the club's new general manager and head coach.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
Thomas Sigouin had to make 36 saves to get a shutout with the Sherbrooke PhÅnix and none was as spectacular as this one!
North American Hockey League
After a month-long online 'Name The Team' contest, the newest member of the North American Hockey League (NAHL) in Wichita Falls, Texas, now has a name and logo. After the conclusion of online voting, the majority of the votes were overwhelmingly in support of the Wichita Falls Warriors.
NBA G League
The Memphis Hustle improved to 8-0 on the season, defeating the Oklahoma City Blue 133-113 Saturday night at Landers Center. The Hustle are now tied for the second-most wins to start a season (2018-19 Santa Cruz; 2013-14 Idaho) in league history. Memphis has recorded seven double digit wins in eight victories and won its second straight by 20 or better tonight.
Top Plays of the Week
National Lacrosse League
It's the annual teddy bear toss in Colorado after Mammoth forward Chris Wardle scores:
Dan Lintner scores the first goal in franchise history for the new-look Rochester Knighthawks:
United Soccer League One
The New England Revolution have hired Clint Peay as the inaugural head coach of Revolution II, which is set to begin play in USL League One in the 2020 season. Peay brings more than 17 years of coaching experience to the task of launching the third-division professional side, which will enhance the Revolution's development pipeline and bridge the gap between the Revolution Academy and first team.
Canadian Premier League
The Canadian Premier League presented the 2019 Award Winners the historic-first awards to the Clubs' Players and Head Coach at the 2019 Canadian Premier League Awards Ceremony in Toronto, ON.
Boston's Triple-A affiliate announced that, beginning in 2021, it will be known as the Worcester Red Sox. But while that's the International League team's official moniker, its "WooSox" nickname promises to be more prominent.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- Admirals Winning Streak Comes to An End - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Assign Boomhower to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Detroit Assigns Hirose and Zadina to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weekly: Penguins Finish Excellent November with Big-Time Offense - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- After First AHL Win, Daccord Seeking More - Belleville Senators
- San Diego Gulls Recall Gates from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Forward Lukas Craggs Suspended by AHL - Milwaukee Admirals
- Matt Weis Re-Assigned to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Bears Weekly: Win on World Record Teddy Bear Toss Night Hopes to Get Club on Track - Hershey Bears
- Ontario Reign Gala, Pins & Pucks On-Sale Now - Ontario Reign
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Griffins Host Two Illinois Squads this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Team up with Physicians Ambulance to Present Season of Giving - Cleveland Monsters
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves Affecting Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Boston Bruins' Brad Marchand Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Admirals to Donate $3 from December 13 Ticket Sales to Children's - Milwaukee Admirals
- Reign Assign Baylis to Fort Wayne - Ontario Reign
- Sens Recall Bourque, Reassign Beauchemin - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Anselmini to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 9 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman T.J. Melancon to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Game 21 Preview: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.