Hustle Stay Undefeated with Win over Oklahoma City
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle improved to 8-0 on the season, defeating the Oklahoma City Blue 133-113 Saturday night at Landers Center. The Hustle are now tied for the second-most wins to start a season (2018-19 Santa Cruz; 2013-14 Idaho) in league history. Memphis has recorded seven double digit wins in eight victories and won its second straight by 20 or better tonight.
Saturday marked another fast start out of the gates for Memphis as the team began the game on an 11-0 run, forcing three Oklahoma City turnovers and knocking down its first four shots. The Hustle made seven of its first eight attempts and its first four three-pointers en route to a 41-28 lead after the first quarter.
Both teams shot above 50 percent in the second quarter as Memphis led 74-59 at halftime. The Hustle finished the half shooting a blistering 56.0 percent overall and 60.0 percent (12-20 3P) from long range.
Memphis held a comfortable lead throughout the third quarter, but Oklahoma City appeared poised for a comeback by opening up the fourth quarter on a 16-7 run and cutting the lead to 109-99 with 7:36 remaining. The Hustle then snapped out of a cold spell and responded with a 13-0 run late in the game to obtain its largest lead of the night (128-105).
The Hustle won the turnover battle for the seventh time this season (19-12) and scored 32 points off Oklahoma City turnovers. Memphis entered the game leading the league in points off turnovers (29.3).
Dusty Hannahs exploded for 32 points on 11-of-19 shooting, including 9-of-14 from three-point range, and fell just one point shy of his career-high in scoring. Hannahs shot 7-of-10 from three in the first half, tying a franchise record for three-pointers made in a single half. Grizzlies assignee Josh Jackson was productive with 26 points, 10 rebounds and six assists, marking his fourth double-double of the season. Jarrod Uthoff (24 points, 14 rebounds) also posted a double-double for Memphis. Ahmad Caver had his best outing of the year, posting season-highs in points (13) and minutes (26) while shooting 6-of-7 from the field.
Two-way player Luguentz Dort led the Blue with 26 points to go with seven boards. Sedrick Barefield had a stellar night off the bench, knocking down his first three three-point attempts and finishing with 25 points. Devaughn Akoon-Purcell (18 points, nine rebounds) fell just shy of a double-double for Oklahoma City.
The team will embark on a four-game road trip out west, beginning with a matchup against the Northern Arizona Suns on Tuesday, December 3 at 7:30 p.m. inside Findlay Toyota Center. The Hustle return to Landers Center on Wednesday, December 11 to take on Midwest Division rival Sioux Falls Skyforce at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 30, 2019
- Hustle Stay Undefeated with Win over Oklahoma City - Memphis Hustle
- Season Highs Lead Vipers to Victory over South Bay - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay's Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Vipers - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Bested by Undefeated Hustle - Oklahoma City Blue
- Martin's Hot Second Half Gives Skyforce 129-94 Victory over Suns - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Fall in First OT Appearance to Grand Rapids - Texas Legends
- Phoenix Suns Recall Ty Jerome from Northern Arizona - Northern Arizona Suns
- NAZ Suns Fall Again to Sioux Falls Skyforce - Northern Arizona Suns
- Bone Shines in Overtime Thriller - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Bounce Back in College Park - Cleveland Charge
- Kings Reassign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Kings Recall Wenyen Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan from Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Vipers Acquire Jabari Brown - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Pacers Assign Victor Oladipo and Edmond Sumner to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Lakeland Magic Dedicate Month of November to Fighting Hunger Across Polk County - Lakeland Magic
- Stockton Kings Beat Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109, Continue Home Winning Streak - Stockton Kings
- Clippers Fall to Kings in Nail-Biter - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeated by Iowa Wolves 123-109 on Black Friday - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wolves Ride Red Hot Start to Victory over Warriors - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Memphis Hustle to Host 'Back to Basketball' Youth Clinics on Sunday, September 26 at Landers Center
- Memphis Hustle Announce 2021-22 Showcase Cup and Regular Season Schedules
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Memphis Hustle to Hold Open Tryout Sessions in Memphis and Southaven
- Hustle Top Blue Coats in Single-Site Season Finale