Season Highs Lead Vipers to Victory over South Bay
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (2-8) won the battle on the court 133-129 against the South Bay Lakers (4-4) on Saturday night at the Bert Ogden Arena.
The Vipers were coming into the game ready to control its territory. The team made sure that South Bay knew that they were ready to play. In no time RGV took control of the first quarter with an 18-12 lead. However, the Lakers were not about to go down without a fight. After a 10-15 run the team came close to taking the lead away from RGV, but the odds were in favor of the Vipers as the quarter ended 28-27.
As the second quarter kicked off a chance to grasp the lead for the Lakers came into the picture as Stockton went on a 4-3 run tying the quarter at 31-31. For the remainder of the quarter a battle for the lead continued.
With 6:28 remaining on the clock both teams went on a 12-12 run to tie the quarter one more time at 43-43. The Vipers defense only allowed six points. On the offensive side RGV put up 25 points to go into halftime with a 68-49 lead making it the second time that the Vipers lead at halftime in a game.
At the half, four of the Vipers led the team in points scored Kerwin Roach II (17), Brandon Sampson (14), Angel Rodriguez (12) and Jaron Blossomgame (12). South Bay's Devontae Cacok led the team with 10 points and eight rebounds.
The Vipers were not about to give up its lead. With 7:43 on remaining in the third quarter both teams went on a 17-17 run which extended the lead for RGV 85-66. The Vipers would go on another 17-point run meanwhile South Bay scored 18 points to end the quarter 102-84 in favor of RGV.
At the end of the third quarter Rodriguez had 20 points, five rebounds followed by Roach II with 20 points three rebounds. Ray Spalding entered the double digits with 19 points and five rebounds followed by Blossomgame who tallied up 26 points and five rebounds.
South Bay fought for a comeback, but the Vipers would come out victorious 133-129 making it the highest number of points scored this season.
The Lakers had six players score in the double-digits, David Stockton (30), Gary Payton II (26), Marcus Allen (19), two-way player Zach Norvell Jr. (18), Cacok (10) and two-way player Kostas Antetokounmpo (10).
Rodriguez led the team with 25 points and five rebounds. Spalding scored 21 points making it his first time scoring more than 20 points this season. Blossomgame and Roach II each put up 22 points on the scoreboard. For Roach II it was the first time he reached more than 20 points this season.
The Vipers will kick-off a three-game road series, starting with a matchup against Fort Wayne on Monday Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 30, 2019
- Hustle Stay Undefeated with Win over Oklahoma City - Memphis Hustle
- Season Highs Lead Vipers to Victory over South Bay - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay's Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Vipers - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Bested by Undefeated Hustle - Oklahoma City Blue
- Martin's Hot Second Half Gives Skyforce 129-94 Victory over Suns - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Fall in First OT Appearance to Grand Rapids - Texas Legends
- Phoenix Suns Recall Ty Jerome from Northern Arizona - Northern Arizona Suns
- NAZ Suns Fall Again to Sioux Falls Skyforce - Northern Arizona Suns
- Bone Shines in Overtime Thriller - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Bounce Back in College Park - Cleveland Charge
- Kings Reassign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Kings Recall Wenyen Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan from Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Vipers Acquire Jabari Brown - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Pacers Assign Victor Oladipo and Edmond Sumner to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Lakeland Magic Dedicate Month of November to Fighting Hunger Across Polk County - Lakeland Magic
- Stockton Kings Beat Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109, Continue Home Winning Streak - Stockton Kings
- Clippers Fall to Kings in Nail-Biter - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeated by Iowa Wolves 123-109 on Black Friday - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wolves Ride Red Hot Start to Victory over Warriors - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Announce 2021-22 Season Schedule
- RGV Vipers, Bert Ogden Arena and Special Olympics Texas Host Summer Field Day 2021
- Vipers Announce Priority Home Dates for 2021-22
- Vipers and Academy Sports + Outdoors Partner for Mother's Day Shopping Spree
- Vipers Host All-Valley Showcase