Santa Cruz Warriors Defeated by Iowa Wolves 123-109 on Black Friday
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (4-5) fell to the Iowa Wolves (4-4) Friday night, 123-109, at Kaiser Permanente Arena. The defeat breaks the team's three-game winning streak over Iowa dating back to March 23, 2018 and the first three-game skid at Kaiser Permanente Arena since January 2016.
The Warriors were led by reserve guard Andrew Harrison's season-high 30 points on 8-10 from the field, making all of his attempts from inside the three-point arc and 8-of-9 from the line. Center Deyonta Davis logged 16 points on 72.7 percent from the field (8-of-11 FG), seven rebounds, a career-high six steals and career-high-tying five blocks. Golden State Warriors assignment player Alen Smailagic contributed 11 points and seven rebounds off the bench tonight in 19 minutes.
Minnesota Timberwolves assignee Naz Reid and two-way forward Kelan Martin scored 26 points each tonight, with Reid adding 11 boards for his fifth double-double of the season. Guards Jaylen Nowell and Jordan McLaughlin added 17 points apiece for the Wolves, with McLaughlin getting all of his points in the final frame.
The Wolves broke the game open on a 24-4 run to end the first quarter. Santa Cruz did not convert on a three-point attempt in the period, while the Wolves were 5-of-8 (62.5 percent) from behind the arc. In the second period, Deyonta Davis had back-to-back dunks and a big block to spark life into the crowd at Kaiser Permanente Arena, but the Wolves built their lead to 27 points to end the first half, 70-43.
The Warriors went on a 9-0 run right before the under seven mandatory timeout to cut the lead to 76-54 in the third. The Warriors forced nine Wolves turnovers, and 21 through three quarters, to outscore the Wolves 32-17 and keep the game within reach.
Harrison buoyed the Santa Cruz offense with 21 points in the fourth quarter, but McLaughlin's 17-point quarter kept the Warriors' deficit no fewer than seven to give the visitors the win.
The Warriors will now depart out of San Jose Mineta Airport Saturday morning to start a three-game road trip. First up, the Warriors will face the Agua Caliente Clippers (4-4), before travelling cross-country to face the Westchester Knicks (2-7) and Long Island Nets (1-6). The Warriors will return to Kaiser Permanente December 8th for a 5:00 p.m. tip against the Windy City Bulls. To secure seats for December 8th and for all Santa Cruz Warriors home games, fans are encouraged to visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors 2019-20 NBA G League season, presented by Kaiser Permanente, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 30, 2019
- Hustle Stay Undefeated with Win over Oklahoma City - Memphis Hustle
- Season Highs Lead Vipers to Victory over South Bay - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay's Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Vipers - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Bested by Undefeated Hustle - Oklahoma City Blue
- Martin's Hot Second Half Gives Skyforce 129-94 Victory over Suns - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Fall in First OT Appearance to Grand Rapids - Texas Legends
- Phoenix Suns Recall Ty Jerome from Northern Arizona - Northern Arizona Suns
- NAZ Suns Fall Again to Sioux Falls Skyforce - Northern Arizona Suns
- Bone Shines in Overtime Thriller - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Bounce Back in College Park - Canton Charge
- Kings Reassign Caleb Swanigan to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Kings Recall Wenyen Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan from Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Vipers Acquire Jabari Brown - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Pacers Assign Victor Oladipo and Edmond Sumner to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Lakeland Magic Dedicate Month of November to Fighting Hunger Across Polk County - Lakeland Magic
- Stockton Kings Beat Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109, Continue Home Winning Streak - Stockton Kings
- Clippers Fall to Kings in Nail-Biter - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeated by Iowa Wolves 123-109 on Black Friday - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wolves Ride Red Hot Start to Victory over Warriors - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.