Danny Ortiz Named International League Batter of the Week
DUBLIN, Ohio - Indianapolis Indians outfielder Danny Ortiz turned in a remarkable seven days at the dish to earn recognition as the International League Batter of the Week for May 30-June 5, as announced by league officials on Monday.
Since May 30, Ortiz leads the IL with a .476 batting average - more than .30 points ahead of Durham's Dayron Varona in second. He has appeared in six games to collect five extra-base hits, seven RBIs, and a .500 on-base percentage while raising his season batting average to .281.
Ortiz recorded multiple hits in four of the six contests, hitting safely in each one. His top performance of the span was arguably Friday in Toledo, when he went 2-for-5 with three runs scored and a season-high four RBIs.
It is the third weekly honor for the Indians this season. Previous winners were Josh Bell and Tyler Glasnow.
You can see Ortiz and the Indians back in action at Victory Field on Friday, June 10, at 7:15 p.m. The team opens a four game series on the road with first place Columbus tonight.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 6, 2016
- Indians Roll to 7-1 Win in Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- Pawtucket Edges Toledo in Series Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- PawSox Edge Mud Hens, 2-1, for Third Straight Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- G-Braves Blanked by Lively in Rain-Shortened Game - Gwinnett Stripers
- Berrios Buries Bisons' Win Streak - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Blank Braves in Rain-Shortened Game - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Lose Series Opener to Knights - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Blanks Tides 6-0 - Norfolk Tides
- Berrios Dominates Bisons in 6-2 Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Pitcher's Duel Ends with Bats Loss, 3-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hill, Goodwin Lead Chiefs Past Bats, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bryan Harper, Jaron Long Added to Chiefs' Roster - Syracuse Mets
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Give Life at Mud Hens Blood Drive Tuesday, July 5 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hens to Make up Game with July 1 Doubleheader - Toledo Mud Hens
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Announce Plans for Father's-Day Weekend - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Mud Hens Announce Makeup Game Date - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons' Offense Taking Team to Next Level - Buffalo Bisons
- Rosario Named Batavia Downs Player of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Add Two More to Legends Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Begin Series at Gwinnett - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Join Us for Beer and Wing Night on June 27th - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Danny Ortiz Named International League Batter of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Blake Snell Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Durham Bulls
- Bark in the Park, Durm Night Highlight Two-Game Set - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Slugger Field Voted Best Triple-A Ballpark in America - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indians-Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-65) at Toledo Mud Hens (58-68)
- Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-64) at Toledo Mud Hens (57-68)
- Tribe Walk-Off After Five-Run Comeback