Coreau Plays Well, but No Goals Lead to a Loss
San Diego was held scoreless in a 2-0 defeat to the Colorado Eagles tonight at Budweiser Events Center. Colorado goaltender stopped San Diego's 29 shots on net in his first AHL shutout.
Jared Coreau made 26 saves on 27 shots on net for a .963 save percentage in the defeat.
San Diego continues their inaugural Colorado road trip for the second of back-to-back games against the Colorado Eagles tomorrow night, Dec. 8 (6:05 p.m. PT).
San Diego Gulls
On the game
It was a fast paced game. Watching the last two times that we played them, they were both tight games. They play hard and lately, we've been battling a lot harder as well. I think that's why it was tight until the last five minutes there. We had some good chances before they got that empty-netter, a couple of chances to score, a couple of power plays. That's the way it goes at this level, it's really tough to win.
On Jared Coreau
He played really well and I think he looked a lot more confident in there. He was seeing the puck really well and was confident making those saves. That's contagious throughout our lineup. When he's playing that way with that kind of confidence, it transfers to the defensemen and forwards as well.
Head Coach Dallas Eakins
On the game
I thought we played hard, it was a hell of a game. After the second period, we talked about that we really thought it was going to be a gritty goal that won the game and that is exactly what they got from their fourth line. We had lots of great looks and had a number of guys play really well and really hard. It was the response we were looking for and that's what it's going to be like against a team like this. It's going to be close and hard fought and I was excited to see our goaltender play really well.
On Jared Coreau
The challenge has been given and I thought he was real aggressive in his net. He looked to be really confident and he gave us saves when we needed them. It was a great duel tonight. Their goalie stood up and made some big saves when they needed it and (Coreau) did the same for us.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2018
- Amerks Win Third Straight to Close out the Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Bunny Brings the Teddy Bears - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Complete Homestand with Win over Bruins - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Topped by Amerks, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Shock Thunderbirds with Late Rally - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comeback Falls Short against Comets, 7-4 - Binghamton Devils
- DesprÃ©s Gives Rocket 4-3 Victory over Marlies in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Bears Blast Wolf Pack, 6-3 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Score Six, Blowout Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Gerbe's Two Goals Lead Monsters Past Phantoms, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Pirri's Hat Trick Tops Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- T-Birds Stunned in Overtime Contest with Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Erupt for Seven Goals in Win over Devils - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Drop First Meeting with Belleville 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Blast Top Utica City in Gritty Back and Forth Match - Utica Comets
- Koivula scores for the third straight game in Saturday's setback at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Third Period Comeback Lifts Penguins over Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Recall Grant Besse from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Flames Recall Rinat Valiev from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Game #22 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defensemen Matthew Spencer to Syracuse Crunch, Oleg Sosunov to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Rangers Recall Cole Schneider from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Canes Reassign Maenalanen and Nedeljkovic to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Roll into Town for Teddy Bear Toss - Toronto Marlies
- Jets Reassign Cam Schilling to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Thunderbirds Sign F Sergei Shumakov to PTO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Flames Recall Alan Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Military Appreciation Night- Stockton Seeks Revenge over Manitoba at 6 PM - Stockton Heat
- Condors Josh Currie Bobblehead Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bruins, December 8 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins this Afternoon in Wilkes-Barre - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dylan's Daggers Down Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Surmount Deficit to Stun Ontario in a Shootout - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Release Forward Auger from PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Stockton Stonewalled by Eric Comrie's 41 Saves in the 2-1 Loss to Manitoba - Stockton Heat
- Hoose Hold off Stockton, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Beats Reign in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Salvage Point in Overtime Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Laval Rocket Fall to Belleville Sens 7-2 - Laval Rocket
- Coreau Plays Well, but No Goals Lead to a Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Francouz Makes 29 Saves in Eagles First AHL Shutout - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Falls to Chicago 5-4 in Teddy Bear Toss Game - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.