Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks
UTICA, N.Y. - After being held scoreless through two periods of play, the Utica Comets outscored the Rochester Americans 3-1 in the third period to pull out a come from behind win to defeat the Amerks, 3-2, at the Utica Memorial Auditorium on Tuesday night.
Mike Zalewski (1-0-1), Alexandre Grenier (1-0-1), and Carter Bancks (1-0-1) scored for the Comets, while Richard Bachman stopped 36 shots in net, including some stellar saves to keep the Comets within striking distance early.
The Amerks were able to find the back of the net first just 5:16 into the opening period. Justin Bailey intercepted a Comets pass in front of the Utica net, spun, and fired a wrist shot past the stick of Bachman for the 1-0 lead.
Utica kept the puck in the Rochester zone for a lot of the second period, but couldn't find a way to get it past Linus Ullmark despite some good chances, and allowed the Amerks to bring their 1-0 lead into the third period.
The Comets started the third period on the penalty kill but came out firing on all cylinders, and scored a short-handed goal just 21 seconds in. Zalewski received a pass from Friesen, made a move towards the slot to beat a defender, and buried a wrist shot to the glove side of Ullmark in his first game back from an upper body injury.
Rochester took the lead back after back-to-back holding penalties were called on the Comets just 29 seconds apart. While on a three-on-five disadvantage, Chad Ruhwedel sent a pass to Matt Ellis, who brought the puck to the front of the net and finished off a backhander for a 2-1 Amerks lead.
Utica didn't go away easily tying the game again with 9:15 remaining in the third. Grenier stole the puck from an Amerks defender behind the net, took it to the front of the net, and squeezed a shot past Ullmark for his 14th goal of the season.
The Comets took their first lead of the game with just 55.5 seconds to play in the third period. Hensick controlled the puck at the point, slid a pass to Shields who was stationed at the right point. Shields put a shot on net that Ullmark turned aside. After a scramble in front of the net, Bancks was able to punch it in to give the Comets a big 3-2 win.
The Comets had a total of 36 shots on goal, while the Amerks finished with 27 shots. Linus Ullmark made 33 saves in goal for Rochester.
With the win, the Comets improve to 33-23-7-4, while the Rochester loss drops the Amerks 32-32-2-1.
The Comets will stay at the Utica Memorial Auditorium on Friday, as they welcome the Springfield Falcons to town. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2016
- Garret Ross Reinstated - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Fall 4-1 to Central Division-Leading Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Blow Away Condors, 5-1, to Sweep Season Series Lagace Stops 48 Shots in Net for Texas - Texas Stars
- Condors Fire 49 Shots in Loss to Texas - Bakersfield Condors
- Dustin Jeffrey Haunts Former Team in Penguins' 4-3 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Can't Hold off Comets in Utica - Rochester Americans
- Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blanked By Marlies 4-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks - Utica Comets
- Devils blank Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins - Springfield Falcons
- SJ Barracuda Continue Battle for Playoff Spot in West - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Heat - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Reassigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Four Road Games Ahead for Grand Rapids this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens on Home Ice Friday & Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Team Card Sets, LB Bobbleheads, and Hockey-Thon this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Bring up Robinson from ECHL, Return Owuya - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Launch Game-Worn Jersey Auction - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Harvard Captain Criscuolo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Prepare for Weekend Series at St. John's - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hall of Fame Inductions Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Four third period goals fuel Bridgeport comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Hartford Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- Defenseman Maxim Lamarche Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Albany Devils Add Kevin Rooney from Providence College - Albany Devils
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Forward Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Roll Into Home Stretch - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Sign Schempp to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie - Cleveland Monsters
- Jarry Proves His Mettle Again, Penguins to Face Big Division Match-Ups - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - March 28 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.