Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win
Milwaukee, WI--Two tallies in the first 97 seconds of the third period helped break open a one-goal contest and lead the Admirals to a 4-1 win over the Grand Rapids Griffins on Tuesday night at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.
The win extended the Admirals lead in the Central Division to five points with eight games left in the regular season and it also lowered Milwaukee's magic number to clinch a spot in the post-season to three.
Juuse Saros continued his impressive play, stopping 28 of 29 shots for his ninth win in his past 11th starts and his 24th victory on the year.
Vladislav Kamenev got the Ads on the board first with a power-play goal with 4:14 remaining in the first period. Taylor Aronson passed from the blueline to Kamenev on the right point. He held the puck form a moment before ripping a slapper past Griffins goalie Jared Coreau.
Matt White pushed Milwaukee's lead to 2-0 with his 10th goal of the year at the 5:58 mark of the second period. White was stationed out in front of the Grand Rapids net and Aronson chased down a puck in the corner before passing to an unguarded White, who chipped it by Coreau.
It wasn't long, however, before the Griffs got one back as the team's leading scorer Andy Miele scored at 8:20 of the middle frame to cut the lead to 2-1.
A quick start out of the gate in the third period pumped the Admirals lead to 4-1 off goals from Stefan Elliott and Max Reinhart. Elliott's tally came just 27 seconds into the period when he stickhandled into the Grand Rapids zone before firing a wrister that beat Coreau high-glove side. Just over a minute later a Pontus Aberg poke-check sprung Max Reinhart on a breakaway and he went high-glove side for his team-best 20th goal of the season.
After giving up two power-play goals in their last outing the Ads PK unit was on-point, killing off all five Grand Rapids PP chances, including a five-on-three the last minute of the first period.
The Ads look to continue their seven-game point streak on Saturday night when they host the San Antonio Rampage at 7 pm at the BMOHBC.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2016
- Garret Ross Reinstated - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Fall 4-1 to Central Division-Leading Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Blow Away Condors, 5-1, to Sweep Season Series Lagace Stops 48 Shots in Net for Texas - Texas Stars
- Condors Fire 49 Shots in Loss to Texas - Bakersfield Condors
- Dustin Jeffrey Haunts Former Team in Penguins' 4-3 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Can't Hold off Comets in Utica - Rochester Americans
- Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blanked By Marlies 4-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks - Utica Comets
- Devils blank Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins - Springfield Falcons
- SJ Barracuda Continue Battle for Playoff Spot in West - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Heat - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Reassigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Four Road Games Ahead for Grand Rapids this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens on Home Ice Friday & Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Team Card Sets, LB Bobbleheads, and Hockey-Thon this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Bring up Robinson from ECHL, Return Owuya - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Launch Game-Worn Jersey Auction - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Harvard Captain Criscuolo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Prepare for Weekend Series at St. John's - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hall of Fame Inductions Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Four third period goals fuel Bridgeport comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Hartford Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- Defenseman Maxim Lamarche Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Albany Devils Add Kevin Rooney from Providence College - Albany Devils
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Forward Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Roll Into Home Stretch - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Sign Schempp to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie - Cleveland Monsters
- Jarry Proves His Mettle Again, Penguins to Face Big Division Match-Ups - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - March 28 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.