Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie
COLUMBUS, OHIO -- Defenseman Zach Werenski, the Columbus Blue Jackets' first pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, has signed an American Hockey League amateur tryout contract with Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today.
"Zach Werenski is a tremendous young man and a very talented player who is going to be an important part of our organization for many years and we're excited about his taking this first step in his professional career," said Kekalainen.
Werenski, 18, registered 11 goals and 25 assists for 36 points with 20 penalty minutes and a +5 plus/minus rating in 36 games at the University of Michigan this season. The sophomore led all Big Ten and was second nationally in scoring by a defenseman, was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and a First Team All-Big Ten selection and led the Wolverines to the Big Ten tournament title and a berth in the NCAA tournament. He also served as captain of bronze medal-winning Team USA at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championships, tallying 2-7-9 in seven games and earning the Directorate Award as the tournament's top defenseman.
In two seasons as a Wolverine, Werenski collected 20-41-61, 28 penalty minutes and was +14 in 71 games. As a freshman, he posted 9-16-25, eight penalty minutes and was +9 in 35 games. The youngest player in the NCAA in 2014-15, he led all Michigan defensemen and finished second among freshman NCAA Division I blueliners in scoring. He was named to the All-Big Ten Freshman and All-Big Ten Hockey First Teams.
The 6-2, 218-pound native of Grosse Pointe, Michigan registered 7-20-27 with 42 penalty minutes in 47 games for the United States National Development Program in 2013-14. He also collected 1-1-2 in five games while representing Team USA at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships and captured gold at the 2014 World U17 Hockey Challenge.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2016
- Garret Ross Reinstated - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Fall 4-1 to Central Division-Leading Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Blow Away Condors, 5-1, to Sweep Season Series Lagace Stops 48 Shots in Net for Texas - Texas Stars
- Condors Fire 49 Shots in Loss to Texas - Bakersfield Condors
- Dustin Jeffrey Haunts Former Team in Penguins' 4-3 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Can't Hold off Comets in Utica - Rochester Americans
- Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blanked By Marlies 4-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks - Utica Comets
- Devils blank Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins - Springfield Falcons
- SJ Barracuda Continue Battle for Playoff Spot in West - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Heat - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Reassigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Four Road Games Ahead for Grand Rapids this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens on Home Ice Friday & Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Team Card Sets, LB Bobbleheads, and Hockey-Thon this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Bring up Robinson from ECHL, Return Owuya - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Launch Game-Worn Jersey Auction - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Harvard Captain Criscuolo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Prepare for Weekend Series at St. John's - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hall of Fame Inductions Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Four third period goals fuel Bridgeport comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Hartford Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- Defenseman Maxim Lamarche Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Albany Devils Add Kevin Rooney from Providence College - Albany Devils
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Forward Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Roll Into Home Stretch - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Sign Schempp to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie - Cleveland Monsters
- Jarry Proves His Mettle Again, Penguins to Face Big Division Match-Ups - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - March 28 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 TV and Radio Broadcast Schedules
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Monsters Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to One-Year AHL Contract
- Columbus Blue Jackets, Cleveland Monsters Announce Multi-Year Extension of Affiliation Partnership
- Monsters Announce Date and Time Adjustments for the 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule