Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs
ALBANY, NY -- With a 3-0 victory Tuesday against the Hartford Wolf Pack, the Albany Devils have secured a berth in the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs. Max Novak had a goal and an assist and Yann Danis made 24 saves for his seventh shutout of the season.
Box Score | Highlights & Postgame Reaction
The Devils, who will make their second Calder Cup Playoff appearance in three years, tied a franchise record with their 40th win. With nine games remaining, they stand at 40-17-8-2. The team last hit the 40-win mark during the 2013-14 season, finishing 40-23-5-8. The Wolf Pack, who are on the outside looking in the playoff picture, move to 36-29-3-0.
For Danis, the victory was his 27th of the season and he is just one win shy of tying Jeff Frazee (2008-09) for the franchise record for wins in a season. Additionally, his seven shutouts are the second most in the AHL this season.
Offensively, Reece Scarlett joined Novak with a multiple-point effort. He had a pair of assists. Brian O'Neill and Paul Thompson were responsible for the team's other goals. Marc-Andre Gragnani registered his 27th assist -- most among Devils' defensemen -- and Jim O'Brien tallied his 14th point in the last 10 games with a helper.
Novak's third goal of the season and first since Dec. 6 came on a deflection at 4:41 of the first period. All five Albany skaters touched the puck on the play. O'Neill skated the puck into the zone and left it for Matt Lorito, who hit Scarlett at the right point. He made a pass along the blueline to Gragnani, who sent a wrister towards Novak's stick.
The same line struck again at 13:58 of the second, but this time Novak made the pass to Scarlett at the point and his shot redirected off O'Neill in front.
The Devils, who improved to 30-1-3-0 when leading after two periods, extended their lead in the third. O'Brien unselfishly set up Thompson on a 2-on-0 at 10:38.
Albany welcomed two new faces to the lineup as Trevor Mingoia and Kevin Rooney -- both out of Providence College -- made their AHL debuts. Mingoia signed his ATO on Monday, while Rooney signed his Tuesday morning.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2016
- Garret Ross Reinstated - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Fall 4-1 to Central Division-Leading Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Blow Away Condors, 5-1, to Sweep Season Series Lagace Stops 48 Shots in Net for Texas - Texas Stars
- Condors Fire 49 Shots in Loss to Texas - Bakersfield Condors
- Dustin Jeffrey Haunts Former Team in Penguins' 4-3 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Can't Hold off Comets in Utica - Rochester Americans
- Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blanked By Marlies 4-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks - Utica Comets
- Devils blank Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins - Springfield Falcons
- SJ Barracuda Continue Battle for Playoff Spot in West - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Heat - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Reassigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Four Road Games Ahead for Grand Rapids this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens on Home Ice Friday & Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Team Card Sets, LB Bobbleheads, and Hockey-Thon this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Bring up Robinson from ECHL, Return Owuya - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Launch Game-Worn Jersey Auction - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Harvard Captain Criscuolo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Prepare for Weekend Series at St. John's - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hall of Fame Inductions Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Four third period goals fuel Bridgeport comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Hartford Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- Defenseman Maxim Lamarche Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Albany Devils Add Kevin Rooney from Providence College - Albany Devils
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Forward Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Roll Into Home Stretch - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Sign Schempp to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie - Cleveland Monsters
- Jarry Proves His Mettle Again, Penguins to Face Big Division Match-Ups - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - March 28 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.