Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins
Wilkes-Barre, PA - The Springfield Falcons winless streak has reached seven games with a 4- 3 loss to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Tuesday night.
Playing in his first game against Springfield since the trade deadline, former Falcon Dustin Jeffrey began the scoring at 5:11. His 18th of the year beat Marek Langhamer five-hole on a partial break into the zone with a feed from Steve Oleksy. Dominik Simon also assisted on the goal. The Falcons responded 3:03 later with a rebound goal from Domenic Monardo. His fifth of the year was scored after a Greg Carey snap-shot with the secondary assist from Steven Delisle. The Penguins regained their lead at 10:53 with a one-timer from Simon in the slot.
Jeffrey fed the pass with the other assist credited to Will O'Neill. The period concluded with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton holding their 2-1 lead.
Craig Cunningham tied the game just 58 second into the second period with a low wrist shot past Penguins goalie Tristan Jarry. His 19th of the year was scored entering the zone and was assisted by Michael Bunting and Derek Smith. At 2:26, Niclas Andersen regained the Penguins lead with a slap shot from the point that tipped off Carey's stick and found the back of the net. Andersen's fourth of the year was assisted by Reid McNeill and Kael Mouillierat to give the Penguins a 3-2 lead. Despite a five-on-three power play for over a minute, the Falcons could not tie the game. Justin Hache and Oleksy ended the period with a fight after a line-scrum that involved every player on the ice.
At 10:52 of the third period, Tom Sestito extended the Penguins lead with a deflection goal on the power play. His fifth of the season was assisted by O'Neill and Jeffrey. In the final two minutes, the Falcons pulled Langhamer for the extra attacker. Carey snapped an eight-game goalless drought with a wrist-shot past Jarry from the high slow for his 26th of the year. Daniel New and Smith assisted on the goal to bring the score to 4-3 in favor of the Penguins. Despite the final push, the Falcons could not tie the game. Langhamer made 27 saves but sees his record fall to 6-9-2. Jarry made 28 saves to improve his record to 17-10-3.
The Falcons continue their season-long seven-game road trip with a 7 p.m. game in Utica against the Comets on Friday night. The game can be heard on NewsRadio560 WHYN or viewed on AHL Live.
The Falcons return to the MassMutual Center on Friday, April 8 at 7 p.m. against the Hartford Wolf Pack for Military Appreciation Night. To reserve your seats, call 413-739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For all the latest Falcons information and updates, follow the Birds at www.falconsahl.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/falconsahl and on Twitter (@TheFalconsAHL) using #YourTownYourTeam.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2016
- Garret Ross Reinstated - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Fall 4-1 to Central Division-Leading Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Blow Away Condors, 5-1, to Sweep Season Series Lagace Stops 48 Shots in Net for Texas - Texas Stars
- Condors Fire 49 Shots in Loss to Texas - Bakersfield Condors
- Dustin Jeffrey Haunts Former Team in Penguins' 4-3 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Can't Hold off Comets in Utica - Rochester Americans
- Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blanked By Marlies 4-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks - Utica Comets
- Devils blank Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins - Springfield Falcons
- SJ Barracuda Continue Battle for Playoff Spot in West - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Heat - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Reassigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Four Road Games Ahead for Grand Rapids this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens on Home Ice Friday & Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Team Card Sets, LB Bobbleheads, and Hockey-Thon this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Bring up Robinson from ECHL, Return Owuya - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Launch Game-Worn Jersey Auction - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Harvard Captain Criscuolo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Prepare for Weekend Series at St. John's - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hall of Fame Inductions Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Four third period goals fuel Bridgeport comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Hartford Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- Defenseman Maxim Lamarche Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Albany Devils Add Kevin Rooney from Providence College - Albany Devils
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Forward Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Roll Into Home Stretch - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Sign Schempp to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie - Cleveland Monsters
- Jarry Proves His Mettle Again, Penguins to Face Big Division Match-Ups - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - March 28 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.