Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates
Bridgeport, CT - The Portland Pirates (35-25-5-2) jumped out to an early lead but allowed the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (37-24-4-3) to score five unanswered goals to take a 5-2 victory Tuesday morning at Webster Bank Arena.
Jonathan Racine gave the Pirates an early jump when he collected a Chase Balisy pass and took a shot from the left point that deflected past goaltender Chris Gibson. Sena Acolatse also picked up an assist at 2:17 on Racine's second goal of the season.
The Pirates added an insurance goal early in the second when Wayne Simpson skated down the left wing into the offensive zone and tried to put the puck top shelf. Brent Regner hung with the play and put home his fourth of the season to make it 2-0 at 3:57 of the second period.
The Sound Tigers charged back throwing 25 shots on Mike McKenna in the period, eventually finding the open side with a Kevin Czuczman shot through traffic that caromed into the back of the net to cut the lead 2-1. The defenseman's fourth of the season was assisted by Tanner Fritz and Alan Quine.
The Pirates were able to stave off three penalties in the second including a 5-on-3 Sound Tigers power play after Brent Regner was called for interference followed by a bench minor for too many men on the ice served by Rob Schremp.
Mike Halmo found the equalizer with his career- high 19th goal of the season connecting on a feed from Ross Johnston behind the net. Jared Gomes also grabbed an assist at 5:31 of the third period.
Just 1:08 later Matt Finn gave the Sound Tigers their first lead of the game with help from Quine and Fritz
Justin Florek and Halmo put the game away scoring two empty net goals in the final two minutes for the 5-2 final.
McKenna made 41 saves on the day, but took the loss, dropping to 29-15-5 on the season. Gibson stopped 31 shots to improve to 18-11-6.
The win gives Bridgeport a four-point cushion on Portland for fourth place in the Atlantic Division. The Pirates have one game in hand.
The Pirates return home to host an April Fools showdown with the Providence Bruins this Friday night. Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m. Friday is Hockey Night in Portland. Show a valid college ID at the Trusted Choice Box Office and get $4 off a main deck ticket courtesy of Sun Tan City.
Start your Friday early with Happy Hour on the CN Brown Landing, starting at 4:56 p.m., including special Happy Hour pricing, $4 beer, $5 apps, and $6 cocktails! For tickets and more information call 207-PIRATES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2016
- Garret Ross Reinstated - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Fall 4-1 to Central Division-Leading Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Extend Division Lead in Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Blow Away Condors, 5-1, to Sweep Season Series Lagace Stops 48 Shots in Net for Texas - Texas Stars
- Condors Fire 49 Shots in Loss to Texas - Bakersfield Condors
- Dustin Jeffrey Haunts Former Team in Penguins' 4-3 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Can't Hold off Comets in Utica - Rochester Americans
- Albany Devils Clinch Spot in 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Blanked By Marlies 4-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Storm Back for Crucial Win vs Amerks - Utica Comets
- Devils blank Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Continue Skid with Loss against Penguins - Springfield Falcons
- SJ Barracuda Continue Battle for Playoff Spot in West - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Heat - Stockton Heat
- Ritchie Reassigned to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Four Road Games Ahead for Grand Rapids this Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens on Home Ice Friday & Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Team Card Sets, LB Bobbleheads, and Hockey-Thon this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Bring up Robinson from ECHL, Return Owuya - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch Launch Game-Worn Jersey Auction - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Harvard Captain Criscuolo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Prepare for Weekend Series at St. John's - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hall of Fame Inductions Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Four third period goals fuel Bridgeport comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sound Tigers Score Four Unanswered in Third Period to Beat Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Hartford Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- Defenseman Maxim Lamarche Reassigned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Albany Devils Add Kevin Rooney from Providence College - Albany Devils
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Forward Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Roll Into Home Stretch - Hershey Bears
- Islanders Sign Schempp to Entry-Level Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets 2015 First Round Pick Defenseman Zach Werenski Signs ATO with Lake Erie - Cleveland Monsters
- Jarry Proves His Mettle Again, Penguins to Face Big Division Match-Ups - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canes Recall Derek Ryan from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Joel Vermin to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - March 28 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.