Columbus Blue Jackets place Nutivaara on Injured Reserve, assigns Kivlenieks to Cleveland (AHL), recalls Merzlikins and Robinson
COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Columbus Blue Jackets have placed defenseman Markus Nutivaara on Injured Reserve retroactive to November 5, assigned goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to the Cleveland Monsters, the club's American Hockey League affiliate, and recalled goaltender Elvis Merzlikins and forward Eric Robinson from Cleveland, Blue Jackets General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced tonight.
Merzlikins, 25, made his NHL debut on October 5 at Pittsburgh and is 0-1-2 with a 3.91 GAA and .882 SV% in four outings with the Blue Jackets in 2019-20. He made one appearance with Cleveland, stopping 28-of-30 shots in a 2-1 loss vs. the Laval Rocket on Friday. The Riga, Latvia native was selected by Columbus in the third round, 76th overall, at the 2014 NHL Draft. He posted a 105-79-7 record with a 2.68 GAA and .920 SV% in 210 career games with HC Lugano in the Swiss League (NLA) from 2013-19 and won the Jacques Plante Trophy as the league's Goaltender of the Year in 2015-16 and 2017-18.
Robinson, 24, has appeared in 14 career NHL games with the Blue Jackets, including 13 games a year ago. Signed by the club as a free agent following his senior year at Princeton University in the spring of 2018, he has picked up 15-14-29 and 21 penalty minutes in 59 career AHL games with Cleveland. This season, he has collected 3-2-5, six penalty minutes and is +2 in 14 games. He registered 39-28-67 and 74 penalty minutes in 138 games during his collegiate career and served as Princeton's captain during his senior season in 2017-18.
Nutivaara suffered an upper body injury in last Tuesday's game vs. Vegas and is listed as day-to-day. The 25-year-old blueliner has registered 16-37-53 with 28 penalty minutes and a +22 plus/minus rating in 217 career NHL games, including 2-0-2 and two penalty minutes in 10 outings this season.
Kivlenieks, 23, did not appear in a game with Columbus after being recalled on November 6. He has gone 5-1-1 with a 2.37 goals-against average and .909 save percentage in seven games with the Monsters this season. The Riga, Latvia native has posted a 23-26-6 record, 3.21 GAA, .889 SV% and two shutouts in 64 career AHL outings with Cleveland since making his professional debut in 2017-18.
The Blue Jackets return to action on Tuesday when they visit the Montreal Canadiens. Game time from Bell Centre is 7 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast live on FOX Sports Ohio and the FOX Sports Go app. Coverage begins at 6:30 p.m. with the "Blue Jackets Live" pre-game show. The game will also be broadcast on the Eldorado Gaming Scioto Downs Blue Jackets Radio Network, including flagship station Sports Radio 97.1 The Fan.
Single game tickets for all home games played at Nationwide Arena during the 2019-20 regular season are on sale now. Full and partial season tickets for the Blue Jackets' 2019-20 campaign are also currently available for purchase. Information on all ticketing options can be obtained by calling (800) NHLâCOLS or by visiting BlueJackets.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2019
- Carr, Grosenick Lead Admirals to Shootout Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Snag Standings Point as Frost Scores Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wild Dethrones Reign in 3-0 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Bears Comeback Late, Top Phantoms in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Mahura - San Diego Gulls
- Sparks Sets Record, But Wolves Fall - Chicago Wolves
- Reign Gladly Leave Road behind after Shutout Loss - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Take Shoot-Out Win over San Antonio - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sens Win in Bridgeport to Complete 3-In-3 - Belleville Senators
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Columbus Blue Jackets place Nutivaara on Injured Reserve, assigns Kivlenieks to Cleveland (AHL), recalls Merzlikins and Robinson - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Rebound to Top Providence, 2-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ladd scores Bridgeport's lone goal in Sunday loss to Belleville - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Phantoms Recall James de Haas from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Forward Jake Elmer Reassigned to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Sound Tigers, November 10 - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Undone by Bakersfield's Big Second Period - San Jose Barracuda
- First to Ten - Tucson Roadrunners
- Benson Hat Trick Rockets Condors Past San Jose, 6-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Strand Rallies Reign in Third - Ontario Reign
- Berdin Keeps Wolves at Bay in 3-0 Win - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes
- Blue Jackets Reassign Forward Kole Sherwood to Taxi Squad from Monsters
- Monsters Score Four Unanswered Goals in 4-2 Win over Griffins
- Monsters Annual Purple Game Returns Saturday Versus Griffins