Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas
Tacoma, WA - Tacoma fell to Las Vegas on Thursday by a final score of 8-2. The loss comes despite the effort from Jaycob Brugman, who went 2-for-4 with a home run and an RBI in this matchup at Cheney Stadium.
Sean Nolin (5-3) took the loss for Tacoma (58-70), giving up six earned runs across 4 1/3 innings. Matt Harvey (1-2) earned the win for Las Vegas (78-52), deliving a quality start in his second appearance with the Oakland organization.
The Rainiers offense got started early, chipping away at the Aviators 4-0 second inning lead on Brugman's leadoff home run off Harvey.
The Aviators weren't able to build on their lead before the Rainiers scored once again, this time in the fourth. Tacoma picked up a run on Jordan Pacheco's two-out RBI double to deep right-center field.
The bullpen bright spot in relief for the Rainiers, including a 1-2-3 sixth inning from Major League rehabber Austin Adams that included two strikeouts. Adams was added to the Rainiers roster on rehab assignment pregame.
Aaron Northcraft continued the dominance by throwing two perfect innings and striking out four. Brian Ellington pitched a scoreles ninth with a pair of punchouts. Altogether, the three pitchers struck out eight of the last 10 Aviators to come to the plate.
As a unit, Tacoma pushed across their two runs in the contest off of four hits, three of which went for extra bases, including Brugman's 20th home run. The Rainiers didn't get any extra help from Las Vegas pitchers either, as they drew only one walk.
Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found on WeRTacoma.com, or by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers) and by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Jaycob Brugman of the Tacoma Rainiers on base
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno