Game Notes vs. Salt Lake
It's Wolf Pack Night at Greater Nevada Field. Nevada alum Braden Shipley will get the ball for manager Chris Cron coming into the game with a 4-5 record and 6.78 ERA. He's been lights out in August however going 2-1 with a 1.38 ERA and 13 strikeouts over 13 innings pitched. Batters are hitting .174 off the righty and he holds a 0.77 WHIP during the stretch. Salt Lake will counter with Tyler Carpenter who's made one start in 2019 for the Bees which came on August 13 against the Iowa Cubs. He went five innings of five-run baseball that day earning a loss.
Stay after the game for the best fireworks show in town! | Presented By Saint Mary's and KRNV News 4
Wolf Pack Night
We're partnering with the University of Nevada, Reno, to celebrate their accomplishments & impact on Northern Nevada. Featuring a Wolfie Bobblehead Giveaway! | Presented By Eye Care Professionals
Kids Run the Bases
All kids in attendance are invited to stay after the game to run the bases and high-five Archie at home plate! | Presented By My Kid's Smile & KTVN 2 News
Presented By Eye Care Professionals | 1,000
Nevada Ship: Braden Shipley is the highest drafted athlete ever out of University of Nevada, Reno. He went No. 15 overall to the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2013. Basketball players Luke Babbitt (2016) and Kirk Snyder (2004) went 16 overall in their respective drafts. For the Wolf Pack, Shipley won Mountain West Co-Pitcher of the year and was selected to the MW First-Team after posting a 7-3 record and 2.77 ERA in 2013. That season, he struck out 102 batters in 107.1 innings pitched and held batters to a .218 average. In 2012, Ship went 9-4 with a 2.20 ERA and won WAC Pitcher of the Year honors. As a freshman in 2011, he appeared in 44 games at shortstop hitting .287 with seven doubles, a triple, one home run and 19 RBI. The Medford, OR native is the all-time Aces franchise leader in wins with 25. He ranks second in career innings pitched with 379.2 and strikeouts with 282.
Homers in the BLC: Kevin Cron comes into tonight's game against Salt Lake needing one home run to break the Aces franchise record for most home runs hit at home in a single season by an Aces player. Cron's 21 homers are tied with Christian Walker (2017) for the most all-time. Kevin is the only player to lead the Aces in homers at home in multiple seasons. Last year, he hit a team-leading 13 homers at Greater Nevada Field. This season, the big righty is in MVP consideration with a .317 average, 38 home runs, 99 RBIs, 78 runs scored, and .799 slugging percentage over 75 games played for Reno. Since 1999, the PCL MVP has averaged 126 games played, 26 home runs and 97 RBIs.
Leyba 2-Bags: Domingo Leyba hit his team-leading 36th double of the season last night which is good for fourth in PCL. It is the most doubles in a season for an Aces player since 2015 when Jamie Romak had 42. Romak played in 129 games that year compared to Leyba's 102 thus far. The most 2-bags in franchise history came in 2012 when outfielder Adam Eaton had 46. The lefty won Pacific Coast League MVP that season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada