Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (77-52) topped the New Orleans Baby Cakes (68-59) by a final score of 3-2 on a walkoff RBI single courtesy of C Lorenzo Quintana with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning.
Express RHP Ralph Garza (8-1, 4.28) earned the win in relief after tossing 2.0 perfect innings, picking up three strikeouts along the way. On the losing side, New Orleans LHP Dylan Lee (1-3, 5.87) gave up the game-winning run on two hits and two walks while striking out two in an inning of relief.
New Orleans opened the scoring in the top of the second inning. 2B Eddy Alvarez tallied a one-out double before racing to third on a wild pitch. Three batters later, Alvarez made a bold dash home that paid off as the speedy infielder successfully stole home plate to put the Baby Cakes on the board.
Round Rock rallied to take the lead in the home half of inning. 1B Taylor Jones led off the frame with a single prior to a looping home run off the bat of 3B Nick Tanielu, giving the E-Train their first lead of the night at 2-1.
However, after a trio of scoreless frames, the visitors leveled the contest at 2-2 thanks to a solo home run courtesy of DH Austin Dean.
The Express got the last laugh in the bottom of the ninth as LF Kyle Tucker kicked off the final frame with a walk. After a Jones single, Lee opted to intentionally walk Tanielu to load the bases for Quintana. Despite a defensive shift that included five infielders, the backstop lined a walkoff RBI single into shallow left field to give the E-Train a big 3-2 victory.
Round Rock and New Orleans face off in a doubleheader on Saturday at Dell Diamond. E-Train RHP Rogelio Armenteros (5-6, 5.05) is scheduled to face 'Cakes RHP Cody Poteet (2-2, 5.12) in game one. The nightcap will feature Round Rock RHP Carson LaRue (0-4, 6.57) against a New Orleans pitcher yet to be announced. First pitch in game one is set for 4:00 p.m. Game two will follow approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one. Both games will be seven innings in length.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Issue Statement on Affiliation
- With Announcements, More MiLB Teams Left Twisting in the Wind
- Hardy to Join Midland for December 5 Concert at Dell Diamond
- "Bulls in the Ballpark" Invades Dell Diamond this Weekend
- Holidays in Hutto Community Event Announced