Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener
DES Moines, Iowa - Tim Federowicz broke a 1-1 tie with a two-run single in the top of the ninth inning on Friday night, and starter Wes Benjamin and three relievers stymied the Iowa offense, propelling the Nashville Sounds to a 3-1 win over the I-Cubs at Principal Park. The Sounds are 4-0 on their final road trip of the season and have won 13 of their last 15 games overall.
The Sounds scored in the first inning and ninth inning, and that was enough for the win. Zack Granite led off the game with a walk, stole second and scored on a double by Andy Ibanez to make it 1-0 against Adbert Alzolay. Iowa's only run came against Benjamin in the bottom of the second on a single by Johnny Field, and that 1-1 tie stayed in place until the ninth. Benjamin tossed six innings and matched his season-high with seven strikeouts. It was his third consecutive quality start and fourth in his last five outings.
Matt Davidson and Patrick Wisdom led off the final frame with singles against Duane Underwood and advanced on a wild pitch. Then Federowicz smoked a two-run single to the gap in right field for a 3-1 lead that became the final. Joe Barlow, Kyle Bird and Jake Petricka each worked a scoreless relief inning. Bird got the win, and Petricka notched his seventh save.
The middle game of the three-game set is Saturday night at 7:08 CT. Seth Maness (7-4, 5.69) is scheduled to face Collin Rea (13-3, 3.71).
The Sounds trail the 1st-place I-Cubs by 8.0 games in the standings with 10 games remaining
Cubs infielder and Middle Tennessee resident Ben Zobrist went 0-for-4 on rehab assignment for Iowa
Jake Petricka has allowed just one earned run over his last 13 appearances dating back to July 21
The Sounds did not homer for the first time since July 26, ending a streak of 22 consecutive games with at least one homer (42 total)
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds' 2020 Holiday Bundle on Sale Now
- Nashville Sounds to Host Blood Drive at First Horizon Park
- Nashville Sounds Announce Season Ticket Member Deposit Campaign for 2021 Season
- Nashville Sounds Announce Virtual 5K Run Presented by First Horizon
- Nashville Sounds to Open First Horizon Park for Private Batting Practice Groups