Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa
DES MOINES, IA - Former Iowa Cub Tim Federowicz knocked in the winning run in the ninth inning for Nashville as the Sounds (60-68) defeated the I-Cubs (69-61) 3-1, Friday at Principal Park.
A leadoff walk to Zach Granite turned into the game's first run with a stolen base and an Andy Ibanez double. From there, Adbert Alzolay allowed just three more base runners and no runs as he struck out seven through 4.2 innings.
The I-Cubs tied the game in the second as they also took advantage of a free pass to Mark Zagunis. A Phillip Evans single pushed the runner to third before Johnny Field knocked in the tying run with a single to left.
Dakota Mekkes came on in relief and kept the cruise control on for Iowa. The righty worked 1.1 innings, walked one and struck out three before giving way to Randy Rosario in the seventh. Rosario spun 2.0 scoreless frames before the Sounds took the lead to stay.
Duane Underwood Jr. (L, 2-7) gave up three-straight hits to open the ninth with Federowicz's two-RBI single delivering the knockout blow. It was Iowa's seventh loss of the season when tied after eight.
- Among the 13 Iowa players to appear in the game, 10 have suited up for Chicago this season.
- Taylor Davis went 2-for-3 for his first multi-hit game since July 13.
- Ben Zobrist was 0-for-4 in his first rehab game at Principal Park.
Iowa and Nashville play the middle contest of the three-game set at 7:08 p.m., Saturday at Principal Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com .
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.