'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab"
Albuquerque, NM - Amidst the thin air of Central New Mexico, the Fresno Grizzlies (56-73) found themselves on the losing end of a typically high-scoring game at the home of the Albuquerque Istopes (56-73) on Thursday night. The 10-9 final (33 combined hits) dropped Fresno to 1-7 on their final road trip this season, lasting three more games through Sunday in the Duke City.
The home side sprinted out to a 6-0 first inning lead at Isotopes Park, anchored by a two-run homer by Sam Hilliard and a two-run double by Noel Cuevas.
In the second inning, Raudy Read homered for the third time in two games, a two-run shot that was his 19th of the season, a night after hitting a pair at El Paso during Wednesday's series finale. Cuevas collected four RBI before the second inning concluded, dropping another two-RBI double, staking Albuquerque to an early 9-2 lead.
Trailing 9-3 in the sixth, pinch-hitter Collin Cowgill put the Grizzlies back in the game with his 11th homer of the season to left field; Taylor Gushue was on base after his third hit of the night to score his second run. Gushue would go 4-for-5 on the evening with a pair of doubles, his first four-hit game this season.
Down 9-6 in the eighth, Fresno scored three times with two out to tie it. Yadiel Hernandez lifted his 28th homer opposite field to left-center (equaling Brandon Snyder for the club lead), following Jake Noll's second double. Read then doubled, his third hit, before Drew Ward rapped an RBI single. In the home half of the inning however, a walk and a single led to a Roberto Ramos game-winning sac fly. The Grizzlies are 4-24 in their last 28 games (since July 23), following a four-game road win streak July 18-21.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- C Taylor Gushue (4-5, 2 2B, 2 R)
- 1B Raudy Read (3-5, HR, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R)
- LF Yadiel Hernandez (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R)
Top Performers: Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies)
- CF Noel Cuevas (3-4, 2 2B, 4 RBI, R)
- RF Drew Weeks (2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R)
- 1B Roberto Ramos (3-4, RBI, 2 R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday August 23 Albuquerque Isotopes (Road) RHP J.J. Hoover (Fresno) vs. RHP Jeff Hoffman (Albuquerque) 5:35 p.m. KRDU 1130 / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: The 2017 Grizzlies' franchise record of 200 home runs is in jeopardy; this year's club is ahead of the pace, tracking to hit 203 homers (187, 11 games left) with three games remaining in the thin air of Albuquerque. While the baseballs may be different this season, in 2017 the PCL schedule was 142 games when Fresno led all of Minor League Baseball in home runs. The 2019 Grizzlies will play 140 games or fewer.
Grizzlies' infielder Carter Kieboom (1-2, BB) has reached base safely in 37 of his last 39 games dating to June 29; the Nationals' top-ranked prospect has six three-hit games during that span. He's reached base in 14 consecutive games.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th