Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Austin Warner threw 7.0 shutout innings and Andrew Knizner went 4-for-4 with two home runs to help the Memphis Redbirds to a fourth-straight win Friday night at AutoZone Park, 9-1, in the first game of the series with the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals).
The Redbirds (63-67) have won 12 of their last 14 games and are 16-5 in the month of August. Coupled with an Iowa Cubs loss tonight, Memphis is within 6.0 games of the division-leading Cubs with 10 games left in the regular season. The Redbirds finish the season with four games at Iowa over Labor Day Weekend.
Knizner's two-homer game accounted for two of Memphis' four long balls on the night, and the 2019 Redbirds now have the franchise's single-season home run record for a team. Adolis Garcia hit a two-run shot in the second inning for the Redbirds' 174th homer of the season, tying the 2004 team, and Knizner's first round-tripper of the game in the fourth inning set the new mark.
Warner dazzled in 7.0 innings of work, allowing just five singles and striking out six. He retired the final five Storm Chasers he faced and seven of the last eight. Jesus Cruz followed with a scoreless eighth inning, and Mike Mayers allowed the lone Omaha run in the ninth.
Along with Knizner's night, Randy Arozarena had a three-run home run in the eighth inning, and Ramon Urias and Max Schrock each went 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI.
Arozarena has reached base in his last 40 starts with the Redbirds.
The Redbirds and Omaha continue their series tomorrow night at 6:35. Sunday's game concludes Memphis' regular season home schedule.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Saturday, August 24 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina T-Shirt Jersey Giveaway presented by AutoZone (first 1,500 fans); Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 25 at 2:05: Fan Appreciation Day presented by Hunter Fan Company (all fans receive a voucher good for a game in 2020); Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; specialty ticket that includes a St. Louis Cardinals adult road alternate jersey available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; kids run the bases after the game
Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00: Triple A-National Championship Game presented by Ephesus Sports Lighting
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds to Host Yard Sale Saturday
- AutoZone Park to Host Free Movie Night Presented by Terminix
- MLB Names Peter B. Freund to Guide Transition of Licensed Affiliates
- Memphis Redbirds Statement on Season Cancellation
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season