Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60)
Games #128: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60)
Pitching Matchup: LHP Wes Benjamin (6-6, 5.93) vs. RHP Adbert Alzolay (2-4, 4.92)
First Pitch: 7:08 CST
Radio: 97.5 FM
TV: MiLB TV
From the Notes
Wes Benjamin: 26-year-old Wes Benjamin starts for the Sounds tonight. The left-hander is making his 25th appearance (23rd start) of the season and is 6-6 with a 5.93 ERA while covering 118.1 innings. Benjamin has yielded 137 hits and 50 walks to go with 97 strikeouts. Benjamin last pitched on August 18 versus Omaha and went 6.0 innings. He limited the Storm Chasers to 3 runs on 6 hits and 2 walks but still earned his 6th loss of the year. Benjamin spent the majority of his 2018 season with Double-A Frisco where he went 5-6 with a 3.62 ERA in 15 starts. The southpaw spent nearly two months on the disabled list from June 7-July 31 with a left elbow strain. Despite missing time, Benjamin led the Frisco staff in wins and ranked among team leaders in strikeouts (3rd), starts (T3rd) and innings (4th). In his minor league career, Benjamin is 27-24 with a 4.32 ERA while covering 86 games (81 starts). The Rangers drafted the Illinois native in the 5th round of the 2014 MLB Draft out of Kansas University.
Wes Side Story: Southpaw Wes Benjamin has had a better 2nd half of the season than the 1st. In his last 12 appearances (since June 9), Benjamin is 5-1 with a save and has allowed a 4.41 ERA (65.1 IP/32 ER). He has limited PCL hitters to a .256 average in the span. In his first 12 games of the season, Benjamin was 1-5 with a 7.81 ERA (53.0 IP/46 ER) and allowed a .327 average. Since June 9, Benjamin ranks 3rd in opponent's batting average and 4th in ERA among 11 qualified pitchers.
Davidson Has Been Crushing: Infielder Matt Davidson has recorded a multi-hit game in 5 straight games and has totaled 11 multi-hit efforts in his last 18 games. In that span (since July 25), Davidson is batting .342 (27-for-79) with 11 runs, 5 doubles, 5 home runs, 18 RBI and is slashing .350/.595/.945. He has also been playing more 3rd base since Ronald Guzmán was optioned to Nashville, playing 9 games at the hot corner since July 26. In his 21 games at third base this season, Davidson is hitting .338 (27-for-80) with 7 doubles, 3 home runs, 17 RBI, 4 BB, and is slashing .404/.538/.942.
Hot at the Wrong Time: The Sounds are the hottest team in the PCL since August 7, going 12-2. However, the second-hottest team is Memphis at 11-4 and Iowa kept at a decent pace at 8-7. Overall, American North Division has been the best division in the PCL, with the Pacific South just trailing at 35-24. Iowa currently owns a 5 game magic number to clinch the American North.
What's the word around Nashville?
First Tennessee Bank (@FirstTennessee)
ICYMI: IWe jointly announced with @nashvillesounds that @FirstTNPark will soon be renamed First Horizon Park, with new signage scheduled for early next year. Read more on @WSMV: wsmv.com/news/nashville...
Photo credit: Nashville Sounds
Nashville's #1 Sports Station (@1045TheZone)
At 5pm on @3HL1045, we will announce our grand prize winner for the Call Up To The Bigs trip where we will send a @nashvillesounds fan plus a guest to Arlington to see the @Rangers take on the @Mariners this Labor Day Weekend.
Listen Live: player.listenlive.co/25021
Nashville Sounds (@nashvillesounds)
Best Outdoor Fun?
Best Hot Dog?
Best Cheap Date?
Sounds right to us. Vote for us in
@NashvilleScene's "Best Of 2019": bit.ly/2z2rih5
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds' 2020 Holiday Bundle on Sale Now
- Nashville Sounds to Host Blood Drive at First Horizon Park
- Nashville Sounds Announce Season Ticket Member Deposit Campaign for 2021 Season
- Nashville Sounds Announce Virtual 5K Run Presented by First Horizon
- Nashville Sounds to Open First Horizon Park for Private Batting Practice Groups