Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Round Rock Express (76-52) dropped their third consecutive decision to the Memphis Redbirds (62-67), this time by a --lopsided 14-2 count on Thursday night at AutoZone Park. Round Rock drew nine walks but could not produce the needed hits to spark a rally.
Round Rock LHP Ryan Hartman (6-6, 5.33) suffered the loss after surrendering six runs, only four of which were earned, on nine hits in a 5.0 inning start. Hartman piled five strikeouts onto his team-leading count in the outing. Memphis RHP Seth Elledge (3-1, 5.93) held Round Rock to only one run on three hits to run away with the victory.
Memphis struck early as LF Randy Arozarenza hit a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first inning. Round Rock responded the third as LF Taylor Jones was hit by a pitch that ultimately resulted in the ejection of Redbirds starter RHP Chris Ellis. With Elledge on the mound, 1B Kyle Tucker smoked a double that shifted Jones from first to third. DH Lorenzo Quintana then grounded out, but Jones hustled home on the play to level the score at one. The next at-bat, 3B Nick Tanielu doubled in Tucker to push Round Rock ahead 2-1.
The E-Train lead was short-lived as CF Dylan Carlson notched a game-tying homer in the bottom half of the third to reignite the 'Birds offense. In the fourth, C Andrew Knizner hit a two-run homer, a shot that scored DH Adolis Garcia after he led off the frame with a single, to put Memphis back on top 4-2.
After SS Edmundo Sosa notched a fifth-inning single, 1B John Nogowski further extended the home team's lead with another two-run longball.
A high-scoring seventh inning for the Redbirds ultimately sealed the E-Train's defeat. After a strikeout to leadoff the frame, Round Rock's pitching staff allowed eight Memphis hitters to step to the plate, combining for a pair of RBI doubles, a single, a walk and a stolen base. With two wild pitches tossed in the mix, the Redbirds plated four runs to widen the gap to 10-2.
As salt in the wound, Memphis tacked on four more in the eighth inning. Carlson singled prior to a Nogowski walk. Garcia then hit an RBI double to score Carlson before Williams homered for the second time to plate a pair and extend the final score to 14-2.
The Express return to Dell Diamond on Friday night to open their final series ever against the New Orleans Baby Cakes (Miami Marlins affiliate). Round Rock RHP Brandon Bielak (7-4, 4.95) is expected to start opposite New Orleans RHP Robert Duggar (2-4, 8.35). First pitch at Dell Dimond is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Duke City Dominance: J.J. Hoover shines in 8-2 Fresno triumph - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Fall to Grizzlies, 8-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Ninth Inning Rally Drops Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Take Series Opener against OKC - San Antonio Missions
- Red-Hot Redbirds Romp Storm Chasers, 9-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Home of the Sacramento River Cats to be Renamed as Part of Community-Focused Collaboration with Sutter Health - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Take Down 'Cakes 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-60) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-73) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Fall to Bees in Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoping to Find a Spark at Home - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Blasts 20th Big Fly, Rainiers Fall in Opener to Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Pitching Staff Stuns Explosive Aces Offense - Reno Aces
- 'Topes outlast Grizz at "The Lab" - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Rout Round Rock, 14-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Explodes in Fifth to Top Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Open Final Homestand with 10-9 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Issue Statement on Affiliation
- With Announcements, More MiLB Teams Left Twisting in the Wind
- Hardy to Join Midland for December 5 Concert at Dell Diamond
- "Bulls in the Ballpark" Invades Dell Diamond this Weekend
- Holidays in Hutto Community Event Announced